Canucks handle OilersFeb 20, 2012 - 5:26 AM
Sami Salo, Kevin Bieksa and Chris Higgins also scored, and Alexandre Burrows added a pair of assists for the Canucks, who have won four straight and seven of their last eight. Cory Schneider made 26 saves in the victory.
"A lot of credit goes to my teammates," Schneider said. "They took care of things instead of me having to make big saves."
Shawn Horcoff and Magnus Paajarvi scored for the Oilers, who have lost three straight and five of their last six. Nikolai Khabibulin gave up two goals on 17 shots before leaving the game in the first period with a groin injury. Devan Dubnyk was tagged for three goals on 14 shots in relief.
Vancouver struck first just 53 seconds into the game after Burrows chased down the loose disc in the left corner, dished it to Daniel Sedin, who found his brother wide open in front and Henrik Sedin tapped it in.
Skating with a 5-on-3 man advantage, the Canucks extended their lead to 2-0 at 6:34 of the first stanza when Henrik Sedin sent a perfect feed to Salo, who wristed it past Khabibulin from the slot.
Edmonton cut its deficit to 2-1 just 1:08 into the second period after Tom Gilbert threw a shot on net from the right point that wound up on the stick of Ryan Smyth in front. Smyth quickly sent it to Horcoff, who deposited it into an empty cage.
The Canucks though, restored their two-goal lead with 4:59 left in the second period when Bieksa ripped a slap shot from the point that got through Dubnyk courtesy of a perfect screen in front by Dale Weise.
Higgins then made it 4-1 when he got a perfect feed in the slot from Jannik Hansen and ripped a wrist shot over the shoulder of Dubnyk with 3:20 to play in the period.
Paajarvi pulled the Oilers within two with a one-timer off a 3-on-2 rush that squeezed through Schneider, but Sedin put the game away just 33 seconds into the final stanza when he jumped on a loose puck in the slot and fired a slap shot past Dubnyk.
"I thought we did a good job of fighting back," Horcoff said. "In the second period, we were right in the game. We were too aggressive in certain areas and we were too soft in our own zone for sure. We turned pucks over and gave them too many easy chances to score."
Vancouver improved to 25-0-0 when leading after two periods this season...Schneider has won 11 of his last 12 games...The Canucks have won six straight on the road...The Sedin twins have combined for 12 points in their last two games...Vancouver finished 1-for-5 with the man advantage, while the Oilers failed to convert on their only power play chance...Vancouver will visit the Nashville Predators on Tuesday, while the Oilers will play the Calgary Flames on Tuesday.
- VANCOUVER: 5
Feb 19 11:23 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Daniel Sedin (26), at :33.
Canucks 5, Oilers 2 3rd - 19:27Feb 19 10:53 PM
- VANCOUVER: 4
End of 2nd
Feb 19 10:35 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Magnus Paajarvi (2), from Ales Hemsky at 18:23.
Canucks 4, Oilers 2 2nd - 1:37Feb 19 10:32 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Chris Higgins (11), at 16:40.
Canucks 4, Oilers 1 2nd - 3:20Feb 19 10:29 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Kevin Bieksa (7), at 15:01.
Canucks 3, Oilers 1 2nd - 4:59Feb 19 10:24 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Shawn Horcoff, at 1:08.
Canucks 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 18:52Feb 19 10:04 PM
- VANCOUVER: 2
End of 1st
Feb 19 9:45 PM
- Dale Weise shot blocked by Jeff Petry.
Canucks 2, Oilers 0 1st - 0:21Feb 19 9:44 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Manny Malhotra (7), from Maxim Lapierre and Dale Weise at 19:14.
Canucks 3, Oilers 0 1st - 0:46Feb 19 9:42 PM
- Vancouver Power-Play Goal - Sami Salo (8), at 6:34.
Canucks 2, Oilers 0 1st - 13:26Feb 19 9:19 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Henrik Sedin (13), from Daniel Sedin at :53.
Canucks 1, Oilers 0 1st - 19:07Feb 19 9:10 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 19 9:08 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11