Blue Jackets beat Red Wings, York gets first NHL winMar 29, 2012 - 4:04 AM
Derek Dorsett, Vinny Prospal and Derick Brassard also lit the lamp for the Blue Jackets, who suffered a 7-2 defeat at Joe Louis Arena on Monday.
Making his first start since October 29, Allen York made 29 saves, 17 in the third period alone, for his first NHL victory.
"It was awesome. The boys played unreal," said York. "All three periods they were great. I was having a real good practice and just tried to keep it going from there. I tried to treat it like a normal game day, but couldn't take my usual pre-game nap. You just try to stay patient, stay on your feet."
Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall scored for the Red Wings, whose two-game win streak was halted.
Ty Conklin allowed four goals on 31 shots in the loss.
It was 3-1 for the Jackets with 5 1/2 minutes left in the second, as Brassard was sprung by a Nikita Nikitin pass and scored inside the left post, and less than 90 seconds later, Umberger finished off a 2-on-1 with Cam Atkinson by beating Conklin from the left wing.
Kronwall got the Wings within two on the man-advantage at 9:34 of the final period, but that was all York allowed.
He was then the beneficiary of a quick whistle when a Nicklas Lidstrom shot trickled through him and into the crease inside of four minutes remaining.
Conklin was pulled for an extra attacker with more than two minutes remaining, and York had to pull off some acrobatics to keep away several Detroit chances from there.
"It was just a poor effort on our part. Give them credit for coming back tonight after being embarrassed on Monday," said Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock. We weren't prepared to play today. We didn't compete. They had a kid that hadn't won a game yet and we could have taken it to him early and we didn't."
Prospal gave the hosts the lead at 6:26 of the first period, swatting his own rebound home from the right side.
Dorsett doubled the advantage with 5:43 left, when he finished off a 2-on-0 break on Conklin with a backhander.
Zetterberg tallied just over two minutes later while the visitors were up a man, banking in a low shot off a Columbus defender near the crease.
The Red Wings took four of six in the season series, but the Blue Jackets won two of three on home ice...Prior to the game, the Jackets signed former University of Michigan goaltender Shawn Hunwick to an amateur tryout contract to serve as backup to York, and also inked forward Boone Jenner to a three- year, entry-level contract...Starter Steve Mason suffered an upper-body injury in practice and is listed as day-to-day.
- DETROIT: 2
Mar 28 10:14 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Niklas Kronwall (15), at 9:34.
Red Wings 2, Blue Jackets 4 3rd - 10:26Mar 28 9:46 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 28 9:11 PM
- Columbus Goal - R.J. Umberger (15), at 15:57.
Red Wings 1, Blue Jackets 4 2nd - 4:03Mar 28 9:03 PM
- Columbus Goal - Derick Brassard (14), at 14:30.
Red Wings 1, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 5:30Mar 28 8:58 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 1st
Mar 28 8:17 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Tomas Holmstrom (11), at 16:23.
Red Wings 1, Blue Jackets 2 1st - 3:37Mar 28 8:11 PM
- Columbus Goal - Derek Dorsett (11), at 14:17.
Red Wings 0, Blue Jackets 2 1st - 5:43Mar 28 8:05 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 13:34
Red Wings 0, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 13:34Mar 28 7:52 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 28 7:40 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26