Scrivens strong in relief as Leafs beat FlyersFeb 12, 2013 - 5:27 AM
Scrivens was called upon at the four-minute mark of the second period when starter James Reimer left with a lower-body injury after 12 stops. He allowed just a Tye McGinn marker with 32 seconds left in regulation.
Matt Frattin and Clarke MacArthur also tallied in the deciding frame for the Maple Leafs, who were coming off a 6-0 demolition of the Habs in Montreal and won their fourth straight overall.
"I think our whole team did a fantastic job out there tonight," said Frattin. "Especially Scrivvy (Scrivens) taking over back there after Jimmy (Reimer) left. He was solid for us tonight and it was another good win."
Wayne Simmonds also scored for the Flyers, who had won three of four coming in. Ilya Bryzgalov was pulled after allowing four goals on 17 shots. Brian Boucher made nine saves for the remainder of the contest.
"We made some bad turnovers in this game that they were able to take advantage of," said Simmonds. "We gave three pucks away and they scored three goals, there's your game right there."
The Leafs assumed control with a pair of scores 28 seconds apart to begin the second, going up 2-1 at 2:05 on Orr's backhander, then Frattin tipped home a Cody Franson offering at 2:33 for a 3-1 edge.
Reimer left shortly thereafter, but the hosts kept pressing and went up 4-1 after a MacArthur strike with 6:15 played. Boucher came on for Bryzgalov, but the Flyers failed to turn the tide a short time later.
Leafs defenseman Korbinian Holzer was given a major for boarding and a game misconduct with 6:29 remaining in the second for drilling McGinn into the dasher face-first.
Scrivens made a glove stop on Schenn just over a minute into the advantage, which was the best Flyers chance of the punchless power play.
Former Flyer James van Riemsdyk pushed Toronto's advantage to 5-1 at the 1:10 mark of the third period, skating around trade counterpart Luke Schenn and beating Boucher.
The visitors produced the game's first goal with 38 seconds played, as Simmonds crashed the net along with Danny Briere and the former poked in a Schenn rebound.
Toronto knotted the game with 5:11 remaining when Dion Phaneuf's slapper from the point sailed through traffic and past Bryzgalov.
Philly managed to kill off a brief two-man disadvantage before the end of the period to keep it a tie game.
Toronto snapped a five-game home losing streak to Philadelphia ... Flyers forward Sean Couturier was a late scratch due to the flu ... Boucher backed up Bryzgalov for the first time this season, having been recalled from Adirondack of the AHL on Sunday while regular backup Michael Leighton was placed on injured reserve.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Feb 11 9:48 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Maxime Talbot, from Kurtis Foster at 19:28.
Flyers 2, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 0:32Feb 11 9:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - James van Riemsdyk (8), at 1:10.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 18:50Feb 11 9:06 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 11 8:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - Clarke MacArthur (2), from Nazem Kadri and Matt Frattin at 6:15.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 4 2nd - 13:45Feb 11 8:18 PM
- Toronto Goal - Matt Frattin (7), from Cody Franson at 2:33.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 17:27Feb 11 8:07 PM
- Toronto Goal - Colton Orr, from Frazer McLaren and Cody Franson at 2:05.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 17:55Feb 11 8:06 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 1st
Feb 11 7:45 PM
- Toronto Goal - Dion Phaneuf (2), from Leo Komarov at 14:49.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 5:11Feb 11 7:37 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds (3), from Danny Briere and Luke Schenn at :38.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 19:22Feb 11 7:11 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 11 7:05 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24