Red Wings send Coyotes to sixth straight lossMar 26, 2013 - 5:47 AM
Johan Franzen and Ian White also scored while Niklas Kronwall added two assists for the Red Wings, who have won three straight and five of six. Jonas Gustavsson made 29 stops in the win.
"We're doing a lot of good things even though we don't score on each and every one, it definitely feels like we've got some things going," Datsyuk said.
Martin Hanzal and Rob Klinkhammer each scored for the Coyotes, who fell for a sixth-straight game. Jason LaBarbera gave up all three goals on 35 shots in the loss.
"All I can say is that we're finding ways to lose games right now," said Klinkhammer. "We're working hard, but that can only get you so far in this league. Not getting bounces, taking penalties at the wrong time...it's just not going our way right now."
With the score tied in the third, Detroit went ahead on the power play after Henrik Zetterberg took a feed from Datsyuk and went in down the left wing. Zetterberg skated around the net and sent it to the left side where it hit off a Coyote before Datsyuk gathered the puck and snapped it in at the 6:12 mark.
Gustavsson then made the lead hold up by making a pair of stops on Keith Yandle, and was called on later when Lauri Korpikoski was hauled down on a breakaway.
Skating on his first career penalty shot, Korpikoski opted for the wrist shot and Gustavsson made the save with 4:12 to play.
From there, he made the rest of his 10 stops in the period as Detroit held on for the win.
Detroit got the first goal of the game at the 4:01 mark of the first period on White's big blast from the high slot, but Phoenix answered four minutes later on the power play as Radim Vrbata's shot from the left point was re-directed in by Hanzal down low.
The Coyotes took a 2-1 lead at the 12:17 mark of the opening frame after Klinkhammer cleaned up a rebound at the right side for his third of the year.
The Red Wings, though, tied the game at the 19:21 mark of the second period after Kronwall's pass from the left boards to the slot was one-timed home by Franzen with traffic to the right of the net.
Detroit plays in San Jose on Thursday ... Phoenix starts a three-game road trip in Minnesota on Wednesday ... Detroit took three of four from Phoenix last season ... Detroit was 2-for-5 on the power play while Phoenix went 1- for-3.
- DETROIT: 3
Mar 26 12:36 AM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk, at 6:11.
Red Wings 3, Coyotes 2 3rd - 13:49Mar 26 12:07 AM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 25 11:41 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Johan Franzen (7), at 19:21.
Red Wings 2, Coyotes 2 2nd - 0:39Mar 25 11:40 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 1st
Mar 25 10:47 PM
- Jonathan Ericsson slap shot on Jason LaBarbera.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 2 1st - 2:14Mar 25 10:42 PM
- Jakub Kindl slap shot is wide.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 15:31Mar 25 10:42 PM
- Jakub Kindl slap shot on Jason LaBarbera.
Red Wings 0, Coyotes 0 1st - 18:54Mar 25 10:42 PM
- DETROIT: 1
1st Period - 4:47
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 2 1st - 4:47Mar 25 10:38 PM
- Brian Lashoff shot on Jason LaBarbera.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 11:47Mar 25 10:36 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Rob Klinkhammer (3), at 12:17.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 2 1st - 7:43Mar 25 10:32 PM
- Johan Franzen backhand shot on Jason LaBarbera.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 11:39Mar 25 10:26 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Martin Hanzal (8), from Radim Vrbata and Oliver Ekman-Larsson at 7:56.
Red Wings 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 12:04Mar 25 10:25 PM
- Detroit Short-Handed Goal - Damien Brunner (11), from Ian White and Jakub Kindl at 7:16.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 12:44Mar 25 10:24 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 25 10:18 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28