Hurricanes clip RangersMar 12, 2014 - 5:59 AM
Elias Lindholm scored the other goal while Cam Ward made 24 saves for the Hurricanes, who had dropped six of seven coming into the contest.
"The big word on sports teams is chemistry. For us to move forward here from now to the end, your best players have to come up big. He's one of the leaders of this team," said Carolina head coach Kirk Muller about Ward. "I think he wanted it. He's looked more comfortable in the last three or four days."
Kevin Klein scored the only goal for the Rangers, who had won their previous two coming in. Henrik Lundqvist gave up all three goals on 35 shots in the loss.
"We gave away two points because we didn't work," said New York head coach Alain Vigneault. "Right from the start our work ethic wasn't what it should be in any game in this league if you want to win. We'll deal with it tomorrow and go from there."
With the score tied in the second, Carolina went on top as Staal fought for the puck at the right boards and fired it over to the left circle for a wide open Tlusty, who sent it back to the right where Staal shot it home for a 2-1 lead with 1:42 to play in the second.
The Hurricanes put the game away with 5:29 to play in the third after Jeff Skinner's shot from the low right circle was stopped and Lindholm was in front to backhand home the rebound.
Carolina drew first blood just 33 seconds into the second period when Staal sent a short pass from the low left circle to the front and Tlusty one-timed it home.
New York, though, answered four minutes later after Mats Zuccarello sent a centering pass from behind the net and Klein wristed it in for his second of the season.
Lundqvist turned away 13 shots in the first frame while Ward needed to make just five stops to keep the game scoreless.
Carolina hosts Buffalo on Thursday ... New York plays in Minnesota on Thursday ... The Rangers had won 10 straight over the Hurricanes, including two previous matchups this season ... Neither team scored on the power play as Carolina had four chances and New York three.
- NEW YORK: 1
Mar 11 9:34 PM
- Carolina Goal - Elias Lindholm (6), from Jeff Skinner at 14:31.
Rangers 1, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 5:29Mar 11 9:25 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 11 8:41 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (13), from Jiri Tlusty at 18:18.
Rangers 1, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 1:42Mar 11 8:39 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Kevin Klein (2), from Mats Zuccarello and Benoit Pouliot at 4:22.
Rangers 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 15:38Mar 11 8:13 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jiri Tlusty, at :33.
Rangers 0, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 19:27Mar 11 8:08 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Mar 11 7:49 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 11 7:08 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 23