Avalanche top Sharks, gain first playoff berth since 2010Mar 29, 2014 - 10:33 PM Denver, CO (SportsNetwork.com) - John Mitchell recorded the eventual game winner in the second period and Semyon Varlamov stopped a season-high 47 shots, as the Colorado Avalanche clinched a postseason berth with a 3-2 decision over San Jose at Pepsi Center.
"I thought I played well today. We're excited and have been waiting for this moment for a long time," Varlamov said. "I played in the playoffs a long time ago (2011 in Washington). It's totally different here and I'm sure it will be fun."
Paul Stastny and Cody McLeod also lit the lamp for the Avalanche, who earned their first playoff trip since 2010 with their third straight win.
Colorado ended its longest playoff drought since moving to Denver and its longest since the Quebec Nordiques failed to qualify five consecutive years from 1988-92.
Joe Pavelski and Dan Boyle tallied for the Sharks, with Alex Stalock making only 19 saves in defeat for the Pacific Division leaders.
It was 3-1 for the hosts on the front end of a power play, as Mitchell's one- timer from the top of the right circle came after Jamie McGinn's shot went wide but caromed off the back boards at 6:32 of the middle stanza.
San Jose pulled within a goal a little more than two minutes later on Boyle's strike from the right wing, but Varlamov shut the door for the remainder of the contest.
The Sharks threw 20 pucks his way in the third period to no avail, helping the Avalanche lock up the win and vaulting over idle Chicago for second place in the Central Division.
"We had our chances. Our PK was winning a lot of games early, but we can't give up a lot of penalties, especially against them," offered Pavelski. "They were committed tonight, but so were we. Our guys did better and better as the game went on, but it wasn't enough."
Stastny opened the scoring just 93 seconds in by sneaking one home from the left post, but Pavelski responded on the power play at 3:07 on a redirection of Joe Thornton's centering feed in the slot.
Colorado took the lead while shorthanded, as McLeod broke in alone on Stalock from the left wing and scored through the five hole with 9:26 left in the first.
Things weren't all rosy for the Avs despite the first-period lead. Forward Matt Duchene suffered an apparent left knee injury when hit accidentally by McGinn. He left after the first period and did not return.
"He should have an MRI tomorrow morning and we should know more after that. He's played so well, and it's disappointing for him and us," noted Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy.
Colorado improved to 31-0-2 when leading after two periods this season ... The Avalanche reached the 100-point plateau for the first time since 2004, and the seventh time in franchise history (1992-93 in Quebec, six times in Denver) ... Varlamov turned aside 46 shots in a 3-2 win at Chicago on Jan. 14.
- SAN JOSE: 2
Mar 29 5:39 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 29 4:44 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dan Boyle (10), from James Sheppard at 8:35.
Sharks 2, Avalanche 3 2nd - 11:25Mar 29 4:20 PM
- Joe Thornton shot blocked by Erik Johnson.
Sharks 1, Avalanche 3 2nd - 12:58Mar 29 4:18 PM
- Jamie McGinn slap shot is wide.
Sharks 1, Avalanche 2 2nd - 13:29Mar 29 4:17 PM
- Colorado Power-Play Goal - John Mitchell (10), from Jamie McGinn at 6:32.
Sharks 1, Avalanche 3 2nd - 13:28Mar 29 4:16 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Mar 29 3:47 PM
- Colorado Short-Handed Goal - Cody McLeod (5), at 10:34.
Sharks 1, Avalanche 2 1st - 9:26Mar 29 3:27 PM
- Gabriel Landeskog wrist shot on Alex Stalock.
Sharks 1, Avalanche 1 1st - 15:28Mar 29 3:17 PM
- Dan Boyle slap shot on Semyon Varlamov.
Sharks 0, Avalanche 1 1st - 16:59Mar 29 3:15 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Joe Pavelski (38), at 3:07.
Sharks 1, Avalanche 1 1st - 16:53Mar 29 3:15 PM
- Colorado Goal - Paul Stastny (21), at 1:33.
Sharks 0, Avalanche 1 1st - 18:27Mar 29 3:10 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 29 3:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18