Zatkoff, Penguins blank Blue JacketsNov 3, 2013 - 2:25 AM
The 26-year-old Zatkoff, playing in just his third game, stopped 19 shots to help the Penguins beat the Jackets for the second time in as many nights as the team took a 4-2 win in Pittsburgh on Friday.
"I just think the more you play the more experience you get," said Zatkoff. "The guys played great tonight and I didn't have to face too many shots. They did a good job of locking things down."
Deryk Engelland, Chris Kunitz and Jussi Jokinen all lit the lamp for Pittsburgh, which has won four straight following a three-game losing streak.
Curtis McElhinney gave up two goals on 26 shots for the Blue Jackets, who have dropped their past three.
"I think it came down to they were skating and there seemed to be more urgency in their game," said Columbus head coach Todd Richards. "We got off of our game and started turning pucks over. When you do that against a team like that, they'll make you pay."
The game was scoreless until 6:46 into the second period when the Penguins took the lead as Joe Vitale swept a pass from the right corner boards to the slot where Engelland one-timed the puck into the right corner of the net for his second of the year.
Pittsburgh caught a break to score its second goal as Kunitz skated down the right wing and from the boards he threw the puck out front. Blake Comeau stretched his stick out in an attempt to push it away, but it went into the net and Kunitz was credited with his eighth goal of the year.
Jokinen sealed the win with an empty-netter in the final minute of play.
It was announced by the NHL on Saturday that Columbus will host the 2015 All- Star festivities ... Pittsburgh plays in New York against the Rangers on Wednesday ... Columbus hosts Ottawa on Tuesday ... The Penguins have won five of the last six games against the Blue Jackets ... Neither team scored on the power play as Pittsburgh had three chances and Columbus two.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Nov 2 9:32 PM
- Pittsburgh Empty Net Goal - Jussi Jokinen (7), at 19:22.
Penguins 3, Blue Jackets 0 3rd - 0:38Nov 2 9:30 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
3rd Period - 19:13
Penguins 2, Blue Jackets 0 3rd - 19:13Nov 2 8:56 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 2 8:35 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Deryk Engelland (2), from Joe Vitale and Dustin Jeffrey at 6:46.
Penguins 1, Blue Jackets 0 2nd - 13:14Nov 2 8:09 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
End of 1st
Nov 2 7:43 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 2 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19