Bobrovsky, Blue Jackets shut out Maple LeafsNov 26, 2013 - 4:40 AM
Ryan Johansen lit the lamp twice and also tallied an assist. Cam Atkinson, R.J. Umberger, Jack Skille and Ryan Murray all scored for the Blue Jackets, who have won two of their last three.
The shutout was the first ever for Columbus over the Maple Leafs in franchise history.
"We just couldn't find the pace of the game at all," said Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle. "It was like we were playing in boots and they were playing on skates."
James Reimer allowed six goals on 21 shots in Toronto's second loss in three games.
The Blue Jackets opened the scoring with two quick goals.
Artem Anisimov moved the puck from the right corner behind the net to Matt Calvert in the slot. Calvert quickly dished the pass over to Atkinson at the side of the net, who wristed it past Reimer 10:18 into the first.
20 seconds later, Mark Letestu skated from behind the net and took a shot on net off a wrap around. The rebound bounced into the middle for Umberger to tap into the net.
Early in the second period, Letestu pick-pocketed a Toronto defenseman and raced up ice on a rush. He passed over to Skille, who fired a wrister over the left shoulder of Reimer for his first of the season to make it a 3-0 game.
Murray added a power-play to give Columbus a 4-0 lead 6:25 into the second.
Johansen scored both of his goals in the final period. Nick Foligno took the puck off James van Riemsdyk and raced into the Toronto zone and passed over to Johansen who one-timed the puck into the net 9:05 into frame. His next goal came two minutes later on the power play. He shot the puck over the glove of Reimer after receiving a nice backhand pass from Foligno.
This was Bobrovsky's fifth career shutout and first of the season ... This was the second of three meetings between Columbus and Toronto. Columbus won 5-2 on October 25 ... Columbus activated defenseman Dalton Prout off injured reserve to the lineup prior to the game. He missed the previous six games with a strained back ... Letestu, Foligno, and James Wisniewski each had two assists.
- COLUMBUS: 6
Nov 25 9:32 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - Ryan Johansen (8), from Nick Foligno and James Wisniewski at 11:24.
Blue Jackets 6, Maple Leafs 0 3rd - 8:36Nov 25 9:13 PM
- Columbus Goal - Ryan Johansen (7), from Nick Foligno at 9:05.
Blue Jackets 5, Maple Leafs 0 3rd - 10:55Nov 25 9:06 PM
- COLUMBUS: 4
End of 2nd
Nov 25 8:34 PM
- Columbus Goal - Ryan Murray, at 6:25.
Blue Jackets 4, Maple Leafs 0 2nd - 13:35Nov 25 8:11 PM
- Columbus Goal - Jack Skille, from Mark Letestu at 3:07.
Blue Jackets 3, Maple Leafs 0 2nd - 16:53Nov 25 8:05 PM
- COLUMBUS: 2
End of 1st
Nov 25 7:43 PM
- Columbus Goal - R.J. Umberger (6), from Mark Letestu and Ryan Murray at 10:38.
Blue Jackets 2, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 9:22Nov 25 7:25 PM
- Columbus Goal - Cam Atkinson, at 10:18.
Blue Jackets 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 9:42Nov 25 7:24 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 25 7:06 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Ducks, Preds hope to get rolling early in first-round series Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13