Lightning shock Red Wings with OT victoryNov 10, 2013 - 6:53 AM
Richard Panik's hard work behind the net resulted in a turnover and from the back boards he threw a pass out front to Purcell, who gathered the puck and wristed it home for the win.
"It was great to break out," Purcell said. "It seemed every game I was getting two or three really good looks and I couldn't buy one."
Ryan Malone and Steven Stamkos also scored for the Lightning, who have won four straight and seven of eight. Ben Bishop made 25 stops in the win.
This was Tampa's first win against Detroit since a 1-0 decision on Jan. 7, 2003. It was also Tampa Bay's first win at Detroit since Jan. 12, 1994. The Lightning had been 0-10-1 in its last 11 at Detroit before this victory.
Henrik Zetterberg scored both goals for the Red Wings, who have lost their past three games. Jimmy Howard gave up all three goals on 34 shots.
"We have to be way more efficient. We're a better team than we played today," Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said.
The first goal of the game went to Detroit as Zetterberg picked off a pass in the slot and shot the rolling puck past Bishop at 3:51 of the first period.
Tampa Bay, though, tied the game just past the midway mark of the first period as Malone, playing in his 600th game, tried a wraparound from the right side that was stopped, but he then shot home his own rebound for his second goal of the year.
The only goal of the second period went to the Lightning when Victor Hedman kept the puck in at the left point and fired a pass over to Stamkos, who lasered a wrister past Howard shortly after a Detroit penalty had expired at 12:50.
Detroit tied the game with 4:12 left in regulation when a slap shot from the right circle by Zetterberg redirected off the stick of a defender and went into the left corner of the net.
Detroit hosts Winnipeg on Tuesday ... Tampa Bay continues its three-game road trip in Boston on Monday ... Tampa went 0-for-3 on the power play while Detroit was 0-for-4.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Final - OT
Nov 9 9:37 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (5), from Richard Panik at 3:51.
Lightning 3, Red Wings 2 OT - 1:09Nov 9 9:37 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of Regulation
Nov 9 9:29 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (10), at 15:48.
Lightning 2, Red Wings 2 3rd - 4:12Nov 9 9:25 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 9 8:38 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (14), from Victor Hedman at 12:50.
Lightning 2, Red Wings 1 2nd - 7:10Nov 9 8:23 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Nov 9 7:42 PM
- Patrick Eaves snap shot on Ben Bishop.
Lightning 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 9:20Nov 9 7:26 PM
- Ryan Malone wrap-around shot on Jimmy Howard.
Lightning 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 9:49Nov 9 7:25 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Malone (2), at 10:11.
Lightning 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 9:49Nov 9 7:25 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (9), at 3:51.
Lightning 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 16:09Nov 9 7:14 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 9 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17