Blues slide past Oilers with 4-goal third periodMar 14, 2014 - 6:09 AM
Alex Pietrangelo and T.J. Oshie also lit the lamp in the final frame for the Blues, who extended the lead over idle Colorado in the Central Division to six points with their sixth win in seven games.
Vladimir Sobotka and Vladimir Tarasenko posted earlier goals, to back a 22- save effort from Ryan Miller
"We want to take it game by game," said Schwartz on his team's mind-set regarding the standings. "Make sure we are just getting better. We are all aware of the standings, we don't want to look too much into it and just take it game by game."
David Perron and Mark Fraser lit the lamp for the Oilers, who lost for the second time in their last five outings. Ben Scrivens took the loss, allowing all six goals on 37 shots.
Pietrangelo gave his team the lead for good at the 42-second mark, when his try in close from the right wing ticked off Scrivens' glove and over the goal line.
It was 4-2 with 4:25 played on the first of the night from Schwartz, a one- timer from the slot off a dish from David Backers.
Oshie provided a three-goal margin when he slammed home an Alex Steen pass for a power-play marker at 7:56, then Schwartz struck once more by converting a Max Lapierre rebound on the backhand at 12:56.
Schwartz later had his bid for a hat trick thwarted by the junction between the crossbar and left post, after a brilliant individual effort which ended with his fluttering shot beating Scrivens before hitting iron.
In his first game in St. Louis since the Blues shipped him to Edmonton in the offseason, Perron opened the scoring for the visitors at 7:39, beating Miller from a shot in between the circles.
Sobotka responded for the hosts just 1:12 before intermission with a slick deke and low shot atop the Edmonton crease.
Tarasenko put the Blues up for the first time at 5:05 of the second, but the Oilers fought back to tie inside of two minutes remaining on Fraser's marker.
"I don't care how good they are," said Oilers coach Dallas Eakins. "We were able to play with them for two periods, we should be able to do it for 20 more minutes. We've got to be stronger on pucks against stronger forechecking teams like this."
St. Louis has won seven of its last eight home dates against Edmonton since March of 2010 ... Schwartz recorded his second career two-goal effort and reached the 20-goal mark for the first time ... Sobotka and Oshie each added two assists for three-point nights ... Oilers forwards Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov both posted game-worst minus-4 ratings.
- EDMONTON: 2
ST. LOUIS: 6
Mar 13 10:45 PM
- St Louis Goal - Jaden Schwartz, at 12:56.
Oilers 2, Blues 6 3rd - 7:04Mar 13 10:29 PM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - T.J. Oshie (17), from Alexander Steen at 7:56.
Oilers 2, Blues 5 3rd - 12:04Mar 13 10:16 PM
- St Louis Goal - Jaden Schwartz, from David Backes and Alexander Steen at 4:25.
Oilers 2, Blues 4 3rd - 15:35Mar 13 10:07 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alex Pietrangelo (8), from Vladimir Sobotka at :42.
Oilers 2, Blues 3 3rd - 19:18Mar 13 10:01 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
ST. LOUIS: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 13 9:42 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Jesse Joensuu (4), from Mark Fraser at 18:03.
Oilers 2, Blues 2 2nd - 1:57Mar 13 9:35 PM
- St Louis Goal - Vladimir Tarasenko (20), from T.J. Oshie at 5:05.
Oilers 1, Blues 2 2nd - 14:55Mar 13 9:10 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
ST. LOUIS: 1
End of 1st
Mar 13 8:44 PM
- St Louis Goal - Vladimir Sobotka (8), from Vladimir Tarasenko and T.J. Oshie at 18:48.
Oilers 1, Blues 1 1st - 1:12Mar 13 8:42 PM
- Edmonton Goal - David Perron (25), from Taylor Hall at 7:39.
Oilers 1, Blues 0 1st - 12:21Mar 13 8:23 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 13 8:10 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18