Islanders top PanthersApr 2, 2014 - 4:03 AM
Travis Hamonic, Matt Martin and Mike Halmo also scored for the Islanders, who trailed 1-0 before netting four straight goals. Colin McDonald had two assists in the win.
"Having that two-goal lead going into the third is something we've struggled with all year," said McDonald. "To play the way we did in the third, it was a good effort by us."
Evgeni Nabokov turned away 20-of-22 shots for New York, which won its second straight game and fourth in the last five.
Quinton Howden and Brandon Pirri scored for Florida, while Scott Clemmensen allowed all four goals on 40 shots.
Jonathan Racine made his NHL debut for the Panthers.
"I tried to play hard, play my game and do my best on the ice. I was so happy to get the call. I think I did a very good job for my first game," said Racine.
Florida opened the scoring just 1:50 in when Howden's short-handed wrister from the point deflected past Nabokov, but Hamonic scored 45 seconds later to knot it at 1-apiece.
The Islanders tacked on two goals in the second. Bailey and Martin both converted off McDonald rebounds, with Martin's marker at 17:36 proving to be the eventual game-winner.
Halmo added an insurance goal 4:21 into the third period, and Nabokov kept the Panthers off the board until Pirri slipped one in with four seconds left on the contest.
New York had at least 11 shots in all three periods, while the most Florida managed in any stanza was nine in the third ... Florida defenseman Erik Gudbranson got ejected at 17:41 of the first for a misconduct after instigating a fight.
- FLORIDA: 2
NEW YORK: 4
Apr 1 9:39 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Brandon Pirri (11), at 19:56.
Panthers 2, Islanders 4 3rd - 0:04Apr 1 9:38 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Mike Halmo, at 4:21.
Panthers 1, Islanders 4 3rd - 15:39Apr 1 9:13 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
NEW YORK: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 1 8:46 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin (8), from Colin McDonald at 17:36.
Panthers 1, Islanders 3 2nd - 2:24Apr 1 8:41 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Colin McDonald (9), at 11:18.
Panthers 1, Islanders 2 2nd - 8:42Apr 1 8:27 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Apr 1 7:53 PM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal - Travis Hamonic (3), at 2:35.
Panthers 1, Islanders 1 1st - 17:25Apr 1 7:15 PM
- Florida Short-Handed Goal - Quinton Howden (4), at 1:50.
Panthers 1, Islanders 0 1st - 18:10Apr 1 7:14 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 1 7:10 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7