Hagelin's hat trick lifts Rangers over JetsMar 15, 2014 - 4:55 AM Winnipeg, MB (SportsNetwork.com) - Carl Hagelin powered the New York Rangers to a 4-2 victory over the Winnipeg Jets with his first career hat trick on Friday.
Chris Kreider accounted for New York's other marker and Kevin Klein supplied two assists as the Rangers snapped a two-game skid. Henrik Lundqvist made 30 saves to earn his 301st career win to tie Mike Richter on the franchise's all- time win list.
"We knew they were going to come hard," Lundqvist said. "We got a great start with the first goal, but then they pushed back a little bit and they had really good speed. We expected it, but after that second goal, it's about how you respond, and we did it in the right way."
Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd scored for the Jets, who have lost six straight games. Ondrej Pavelec allowed two goals on eight shots before exiting the game after the first period with a lower-body injury. Al Montoya entered the game and made 13 saves in the loss.
"It's always tough you know I thought we had our fair share of chances there in the offensive zone. But you know at the end of the day they got the two points and they played well," said Winnipeg defenseman Zach Bogosian.
Hagelin scored the lone marker of the second on a backhander with eight seconds to go, giving the visitors a 3-2 advantage.
The young Swede put the game out of reach with his third of the night 8:50 into the final frame. Brad Richards raced through the neutral zone and dished the puck over to Hagelin at the left circle, where he released a wrister that snuck past Montoya for the milestone marker.
Winnipeg skated with an extra attacker for two-plus minutes at the end of regulation to no avail.
The Rangers got off to a quick start after Hagelin deflected Klein's shot past Pavelec 1:15 into the game. Winnipeg responded with two quick goals in a 53- second span.
Byfuglien knocked a rebound out of the air and into the net just 1:18 later to knot the score at 1-1, before Ladd wristed a shot past Lundqvist to give Winnipeg a one-goal edge.
Kreider's wrist shot off the left wing evened the game at two with 8:22 left in the first.
Richter finished his NHL and Rangers career (1989-2003) with a 301-258-73 record ... Ladd played in his 600th NHL game ... Jets forward Bryan Little extended his point streak to four games ... Winnipeg has killed off 16 straight penalties dating back to a 5-3 loss to Ottawa on Mar. 8 ... The Jets had won three of the last four meetings against the Rangers coming into the contest.
- NEW YORK: 4
Mar 14 10:33 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Carl Hagelin (16), from Brad Richards at 8:50.
Rangers 4, Jets 2 3rd - 11:10Mar 14 10:11 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 14 9:40 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Carl Hagelin, from Martin St. Louis at 19:53.
Rangers 3, Jets 2 2nd - 0:07Mar 14 9:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 1st
Mar 14 8:44 PM
- Martin St. Louis shot blocked by Jacob Trouba.
Rangers 2, Jets 2 1st - 4:54Mar 14 8:36 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Carl Hagelin (14), at 1:15.
Rangers 1, Jets 0 1st - 18:45Mar 14 8:13 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 18:58
Mar 14 8:12 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 23