Sharks wrap up season with win over CoyotesApr 13, 2014 - 5:36 AM
Logan Couture scored the other goal and Antti Niemi made 30 saves for the Sharks, who finished off their regular season with a mark of 51-22-9 to take second place in the Pacific Division.
San Jose will meet Los Angeles when the playoffs begin.
"It's going to be great," said Pavelski about the upcoming matchup. "It went down to the final minutes last year and they're a good team. It's a good test for us and we're going to need everyone on this team to beat them."
Shane Doan and Mike Ribeiro scored for the Coyotes, who have lost seven straight to find themselves eliminated from postseason contention. Mark Visentin stopped 29 shots in his NHL debut.
Phoenix will host Dallas, which took the final wild card spot in the Western Conference, in the season finale on Sunday.
"It's a frustrating time. You're in this business to win," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett. "When you're close and you're not winning, it's probably even more frustrating. That's the worst thing about these games coming down the stretch. We've given points away that would have certainly helped the cause."
The Sharks got on the board on the power play at 3:43 thanks to Pavelski's wrister on the fly from the right wing, and he made it a 2-0 game halfway through the first on a one-timer from the left circle, his 41st of the season.
Phoenix got on back halfway through the second period when Ribeiro lifted one over Niemi from the right side.
San Jose scored 13 seconds into the third when Couture tipped in a Dan Boyle shot, but Doan answered 31 seconds later on Doan's shot from the right circle.
Niemi, though, stopped 10 shots in the third to keep Phoenix from tying the game.
The Sharks took three of four games from the Coyotes this season ... San Jose was 22-15-4 as the guest this season ... San Jose went 1-for-3 on the power play, while Phoenix finished the game 0-for-1.
- SAN JOSE: 3
Apr 12 11:31 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan, at :44.
Sharks 3, Coyotes 2 3rd - 19:16Apr 12 10:54 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture (23), at :13.
Sharks 3, Coyotes 1 3rd - 19:47Apr 12 10:53 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mike Ribeiro (16), from Radim Vrbata and Martin Erat at 10:21.
Sharks 2, Coyotes 1 2nd - 9:39Apr 12 10:21 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 1st
Apr 12 9:41 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (41), at 9:56.
Sharks 2, Coyotes 0 1st - 10:04Apr 12 9:25 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Joe Pavelski (40), from Brent Burns and Dan Boyle at 3:43.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 16:17Apr 12 9:16 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 12 9:09 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19