0 - 1 Final
  for this game

Dynamo earn first win of season

Apr 20, 2009 - 2:09 AM HOUSTON (AP) - The Houston Dynamo finally got their first win of the season by continuing their domination of the Colorado Rapids.

Brian Ching scored on a header in the 20th minute and Pat Onstad stopped a penalty kick late in the game to lift Houston to a 1-0 victory over Colorado on Sunday.

"In the end, it's a win," Dynamo coach Dominic Kinnear said. "Overall, I thought the first 20 minutes we were excellent. When we scored, the game kind of evened out."

Ching broke a 254-minute scoreless drought for Houston (1-2-2), taking a pass from Brad Davis on the left side from 15 yards out and heading it toward the right post. The ball hit the lower crossbar on the right side, then hit the upper right post and went in.

"Anytime Brad gets the ball with time and space, I am going to make a run," Ching said. "I got fortunate with the finish, but I think it was a good play all around."

Onstad preserved the victory with a diving save on Conor Casey's penalty kick in the 83rd minute, just getting a hand on the ball. He also stopped Terry Cooke's ensuing rebound shot.

"Pat didn't have much to do until the penalty, but two great saves," Kinnear said. "Pat comes up with a wonderful save, and then follows that up with an even better one. We came out and played some of our best stuff of the year, thoroughly deserved to be up 1-0, and right now, it's a win and it's a good three points."

Kinnear's team improved to 5-0-1 against the Rapids at Houston and leads the all-time series 8-2-2.

Colorado (2-2-1), which had a three-game unbeaten streak snapped, got two saves from Preston Burpo.

"I was very pleased with the character and commitment for probably two-thirds of the game," Rapids coach Gary Smith said. "I thought the opening 20 minutes belonged to Houston. That was a little expected giving the way their form had been coming into today. We turned the tables in the second period. It was very exciting.

"Sadly, that one goal in the opening 20 minutes was enough to see us off."