for this game

FC Dallas ties Seattle 1-1 on Ferreira's late goal

Jul 12, 2010 - 5:50 AM SEATTLE(AP) -- For the third straight game, David Ferreira came up big for FC Dallas.

Ferreira scored in the 87th minute to help Dallas salvage a 1-1 tie against the Seattle Sounders on Sunday night.

Heath Pearce sent a cross through the penalty area to Ferreira, who converted from 12 yards out on the left side as Dallas (5-2-7) extended its unbeaten streak to five games.

Ferreira has factored into the scoring in the last three games for Dallas. He converted game-winning penalty kicks against Chivas USA on June 26 and against Kansas City on July 3. He now has four goals this season.

"I made my run inside, played it inside to Heath, and continued my run, hoping Heath would play me through," Ferreira said.

Ferreira, a native of Colombia, is in his second season with Dallas. He had eight goals and seven assists last year.

"Not only did he score a wonderful goal today, it was under a lot of pressure late in the game when most people make mistakes because their legs are heavy," FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman said. "David did everything right, and it took a goal like that to beat (Sounders goalkeeper) Kasey Keller."

Fredy Montero scored on a diving header in the 14th minute for the Sounders (4-8-4), who stopped a three-game skid but remained winless since beating New England on June 5.

Seattle played a man down after rookie midfielder Miguel Montano got a straight red card following an altercation with Dallas midfielder Brek Shea in the 57th minute.

Montero's goal was his team-leading sixth of the season, but it wasn't enough to get the Sounders back into the win column.

"That was disappointing, because I thought we put the right team out there," said Sounders coach Sigi Schmid, who started two rookies - Montano and Mike Seamon - at midfield for the first time this season. "I thought we played with a lot of energy, and we played well. Dallas played well and ended up scoring a great goal."

Ferreira nearly tied the game midway through the 71st minute. His diving header in the box was on its way in, but Keller dove to his right and slapped the ball away with his right hand before his momentum carried him all the way into the net. It was ruled that the ball had not crossed the goal line.

The red card early in the second half eventually caught up to Seattle. Dallas outshot the Sounder by a 12-3 margin during the half and 17-7 for the game.

"They helped us out by getting the red card, and we went forward and created a lot of opportunities," Hyndman said. "It was a difficult game, but a great point."