Dallas shocks L.A. 3-0 to reach MLS Cup FinalNov 15, 2010 - 4:18 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - FC Dallas shocked the heavily-favored Los Angeles Galaxy, 3-0, in the Major League Soccer Western Conference Final on Sunday night at the Home Depot Center.
MVP candidate David Ferreira scored a goal and an assist while MLS Goalkeeper of the year Finalist Kevin Hartman made six saves, many of them early when the game was in question, to lead FCD to its first ever MLS Cup Championship next Sunday in Toronto.
The game's first real chance came in the eighth minute when L.A. forward Mike Magee fired toward the Dallas far post, but Hartman was up to the task.
Hartman came up big again in the 21st minute when Juninho blasted a shot on goal from about 15 yards that the FCD goalkeeper was able to fight off before making another big save two minutes later on a David Beckham free kick to keep the game scoreless.
FCD was able to capitalize on its first chance of the game when Ferreira received a ball at the top of the L.A. area and quickly turned and fired past MLS Goalkeeper of the Year winner Donovan Ricketts.
Hartman came up big again in the 31st minute, touching a Landon Donovan shot from the left side just wide of the far post to keep his team in control heading into the break.
Dallas took a firm grasp on the game in the 54th minute when defender George John, who didn't score a goal all season, scored his first of the playoffs to give the Hoops a 2-0 advantage.
After a corner kick wasn't cleared all the way out by the L.A. defense, Brek Shea collected the ball on the left side and played a low cross to the back post that John one-timed past Ricketts.
Dallas took a commanding lead in the 73rd minute when Ferreira played a perfectly-timed through-ball to FCD striker Marvin Chavez behind the defense, and he slotted behind Ricketts.
Dallas will now play the Colorado Rapids in the MLS Cup Final in Toronto next Sunday in a battle of two teams that have never won the league's top prize.
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13