Union earn road win at HoustonMar 20, 2011 - 2:54 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - One game into the 2011 Major League Soccer season, the Philadelphia Union are halfway to their total of road wins from a season ago.
The Union topped the Houston Dynamo, 1-0, at Robertson Stadium on Saturday night after earning just two road wins all of last season.
Danny Califf scored the game's lone goal in the fifth minute off a throw in.
Sheanon Williams launched the throw from the right side into the Houston penalty area to Sebastien Le Toux, who fired a shot in traffic off the crossbar. Califf then pounced on the rebound and knocked it home for the 1-0 lead.
Houston's best chance to equalize came with just over 20 minutes left in the game when substitute Dominic Oduro was set up in the area on a service from Geoff Cameron, but he missed badly on what looked like a relatively easy finish.
Houston (0-1-0) will aim to rebound at Seattle on Friday, while Philadelphia (1-0-0) hosts the expansion Vancouver Whitecaps FC a day later.
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
Mar 19 10:29 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
1st Half - 5'
Union 1, Dynamo 0 1st - 5'Mar 19 8:44 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 19 8:37 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6
- Union aim to keep rolling against NYCFC at PPL Jun 5