Seattle earns 1-0 win at ColoradoApr 23, 2011 - 3:47 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC earned a 1-0 victory at the 10-man Colorado Rapids on Friday night in Major League Soccer action at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Fredy Montero snapped a long scoring drought with a 19th minute goal, but even that was overshadowed by a gruesome injury to Seattle winger Steve Zakuani in the opening minutes.
With the speedy winger controlling the ball, Rapids' veteran midfielder Brian Mullan came in hard with a sloppy challenge that reportedly broke Zakuani's leg. Zakuani was being taken to the emergency room shortly after the play.
Mullan was given a straight red card in the third minute, forcing his team to play down a man virtually the entire game.
The Sounders went ahead 1-0 when Montero one-timed a Mauro Rosales square-ball in the area past goalkeeper Matt Pickens for his first goal since Aug. 28th. The game marked Montero's first start in four games because of wrist surgery.
The win is the first on the road for the Sounders (2-2-3), who extend their unbeaten run to five games, while the Rapids (3-3-0) dropped their third straight after opening the season 3-0-0.
Seattle will be back in action vs. Toronto FC on Saturday, April 30, with Colorado hosting Chicago the same day in its next MLS fixture.
- SEATTLE: 1
Apr 22 11:34 PM
- SEATTLE: 1
1st Half - 35'
Sounders FC 1, Rapids 0 1st - 35'Apr 22 10:12 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 22 9:37 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18