L.A. continues dominance in SuperClasicoMay 22, 2011 - 4:25 AM Los Angeles Galaxy continued their dominance in the SuperClasico with a 1-0 win Saturday over Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center.
Beckham curled a free kick in from the left wing, and Barrett headed the ball from the near side of the area to the far post for his third goal of the year. Beckham notched his sixth assist of the season, and fifth off a set piece.
Los Angeles (6-2-5) extended its unbeaten streak in the series to nine matches and extended its cushion atop the Western Conference to six points. Chivas USA (3-4-3) last defeated L.A. in Major League Soccer in 2007.
After Beckham and Barrett combined on the lone goal in the 26th minute, it was not until after half that either side came close to scoring again. Barrett had the chance on a breakaway in the 49th, but missed an open net.
Chivas came within inches of earning a point, but Ben Zemanski's 65th-minute drive swerved away from the upper left and hit the post.
The Galaxy remain at The Home Depot Center for their next match on Wednesday - this time as the home team - against the Houston Dynamo. Chivas USA will try to rebound May 28 at the Columbus Crew.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
CHIVAS USA: 0
May 22 12:01 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Barrett (2) 26th minute.
Galaxy 1, Chivas USA 0 1st - 28'May 21 10:37 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
CHIVAS USA: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 21 10:10 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Revs square off with Galaxy in MLS Cup rematch May 29
- Galaxy, RSL renew rivalry at StubHub May 26