Vancouver earns draw with Chivas as Hassli sees red, againJun 2, 2011 - 4:30 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - Tom Soehn began his tenure as coach of Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday with a 1-1 draw against Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center.
Nick LaBrocca scored in the opening minute of the second half for Chivas (3-4-5) with a shot from 25 yards, but his goal was canceled out a few minutes later by Camilo, who collected a blocked shot inside the penalty area and curled the ball into the upper-right corner of the net.
Vancouver's Eric Hassli had an eventful match as he struck the crossbar in the 39th minute in what amounted to the lone chance of the first half for either side.
But with the game tied at 1-1 in the 66th minute, Hassli received his third red card of the season after a late challenge on Ben Zemanski.
Chivas nearly took advantage in the 84th minute when Justin Braun got into the area and had his shot saved by Vancouver goalkeeper Joe Cannon, while LaBrocca's rebound attempt was cleared off the goal line by defender Jay DeMerit.
Vancouver (1-5-7) is now winless in its last 12 games, while Chivas has drawn its last two matches and has recorded one win in its last five games.
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Canadian rivals clash as Impact host 'Caps Jun 2
- Techera helps 'Caps end losing skid May 30
- Whitecaps aim to stop the rot against RSL May 29
- Pittinari's goal lifts Rapids past 'Caps May 23
- 'Caps set to face Rapids at DSG Park May 22
- Barrett's brace propels Sounders past 'Caps May 16