Davies rescues United again in draw against RealJun 19, 2011 - 3:37 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - Charlie Davies came off the bench to rescue D.C. United again Saturday night.
Davies converted a penalty kick, his fifth goal as a substitute this year and seventh overall, in the 85th minute as United tied Real Salt Lake, 1-1, at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Fabian Espindola converted a penalty kick in the first half for Real, but with under 10 minutes remaining Davies drew a penalty kick and scored to the lower- left corner to move into a tie for second in the league in scoring.
United (4-5-5) had its five-match unbeaten run snapped last weekend with a 4-2 loss to the San Jose Earthquakes, but rebounded with the tie on the road. Real (6-3-4) won its first four games this year, but has one win in its last seven.
Real Salt Lake took the lead late in the first half when Kyle Beckerman earned a penalty kick with a run into the left side of the area. United's Clyde Simms made a sliding challenge, but the ball hit his arm just inside the box.
Espindola converted to the left side with United goalie Bill Hamid diving the opposite way, as he scored his third goal in his last four games and fourth of the season.
Chris Pontius rocked the crossbar six minutes into the second half for United, and Davies pulled the visitors level with five minutes left in normal time.
Davies drove into the right side of the area against Real's Chris Wingert, and although there appeared to be little or no contact, went down to win a penalty kick.
Real's players appealed for a card for diving, but Davies was unfazed and sent a hard shot to the lower left to sneak the ball past a diving RSL goalie Nick Rimando.
Of Davies' five goals off the bench, four have helped United earn either a win or a tie. D.C. almost added a late winner, but Pontius again hit the bar off a short free kick from Andy Najar, as the teams split the points.
Real visits the Chicago Fire on Wednesday for its next match, while D.C. hosts the Houston Dynamo on June 25.
- D.C. UNITED: 1
REAL SALT LAKE: 1
Jun 18 10:58 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Davies (7) (PK) 85th minute.
D.C. United 1, Real Salt Lake 1 2nd - 85'Jun 18 10:49 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Espindola (4) 38th minute
D.C. United 0, Real Salt Lake 1 1st - 40'Jun 18 9:47 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 18 9:08 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19