Carr's late goal helps Houston salvage draw in ColumbusSep 15, 2011 - 1:43 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - The Houston Dynamo squandered a big chance to move further up the Eastern Conference table on Wednesday as the club needed a goal in the 86th minute from substitute Calen Carr to claim a 2-2 draw with the Columbus Crew at Crew Stadium.
The game was just 11 minutes old when the Crew's Emmanuel Ekpo was sent off with a straight red card for pushing Houston's Adam Moffat in the face near midfield.
It was a foolish play by Ekpo, and it left his team down a man for the final 79 minutes of the match.
Houston took advantage in the 34th minute when Je-Vaughn Watson tallied his first goal of the season by heading home Jermaine Taylor's right-wing cross.
Will Bruin came close to doubling the lead for the visitors just before the break as his curling shot from 12 yards sailed narrowly past the upper-right corner of the net.
The Dynamo was in control early in the second half, but after producing little in the way of offense, the Crew was awarded a penalty kick when a cross struck the arm of Houston's Cam Weaver inside the area.
Andres Mendoza stepped to the spot and made no mistake, tying the game at 1-1, and he was given another chance just 11 minutes later.
This time it was Watson who was the guilty party as he struck the Crew's Dilly Duka in the chest with a high kick while trying to clear a corner.
Again Mendoza took the penalty kick and again he beat Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall, handing the home side an unlikely lead.
The advantage lasted until the 86th minute, however, as Geoff Cameron's low cross was smashed into the roof of the net by Carr from 12 yards, helping Houston avoid a third successive defeat.
Columbus moves one point clear of second-place Sporting Kansas City in the East with the result, while the Dynamo is level on 36 points with Philadelphia, five back of the Crew.
- HOUSTON: 2
Sep 14 9:28 PM
- Houston Goal - Carr (1) 86th minute
Dynamo 2, Crew SC 2 1st - 3'Sep 14 9:21 PM
- Columbus Goal - Mendoza (11) (PK) 76th minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 2 1st - 14'Sep 14 9:11 PM
- Columbus Goal - Mendoza (10) (PK) 64th minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 1 1st - 25'Sep 14 8:59 PM
- HOUSTON: 1
Sep 14 8:24 PM
- Houston Goal - Watson (1) 34th minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 0 1st - 10'Sep 14 8:12 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Half - 44'
Sep 14 7:37 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6
- Impact aim to end road troubles in Columbus Jun 5