'Quakes, Sporting play to dramatic draw at Buck ShawOct 2, 2011 - 5:14 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Sporting Kansas City and the San Jose Earthquakes traded late goals in a dramatic finish at Buck Shaw Stadium on Saturday, as the two teams played to a 1-1 draw.
After a scoreless 84 minutes, Chris Wondolowski appeared to have given the Earthquakes the win, but his goal was immediately canceled out by Teal Bunbury in the 86th minute.
Steven Beitashour sent a cross in front of goal in the 85th minute where it was met by Wondolowski. The U.S. international provided a deft touch to guide the ball past Jimmy Nielsen and seemingly give the 'Quakes all three points with just five minutes remaining.
But Sporting responded immediately, taking the kickoff down the field with Bunbury lashing a shot on goal and beating San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch to salvage a point.
San Jose has now drawn three straight matches as it sits second from bottom in the Western Conference with 32 points on the season.
Sporting, looking a sure bet to make the postseason, is unbeaten in its last three contests, topping the East with 45 points from 32 games.
San Jose (6-11-14) will play its next match on Oct. 8 when it travels to Gillette Stadium to face the New England Revolution, while Sporting (11-9-12) doesn't return to action until Oct. 15 when it hosts Red Bull New York in a crucial Eastern Conference tilt.
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29