New York, Vancouver battle to drawMay 29, 2011 - 12:15 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Red Bull New York and the Vancouver Whitecaps battled to a 1-1 draw in Major League Soccer action at Empire Field on Saturday night.
The expansion Whitecaps extended their winless run to 11 games with the draw, a span of almost two-and-a-half months.
New York, on the other hand, have now earned draws in three straight, and four of their last five. It has now gone five without a win.
Vancouver opened the scoring in the 24th minute when Davide Chiumiento slipped a ball through the defense to Camilo, who was clipped by defender Carlos Mendes as he cut into the middle of the penalty area, drawing a call from referee Mark Geiger.
Eric Hassli converted the chance for his fourth goal of the season.
But the lead was short-lived as the Red Bulls equalized just 10 minutes later.
Luke Rodgers scored his fifth goal of the season on a play set up by Jan Gunnar Solli, who was wide-open in the area after his defender slipped. He then crossed to Rodgers, who one-timed home.
Vancouver will aim to end its extended winless run at Chivas USA on Wednesday, while the Red Bulls are back in action on Saturday.
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- Canadian rivals clash as Impact host 'Caps Jun 2