Rost records clean sheet as New York, Chivas finish scorelessJul 17, 2011 - 4:45 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - After spending nearly 20 years in the German Bundesliga, Red Bull New York goalkeeper Frank Rost recorded a clean sheet in his first Major League Soccer match on Saturday at The Home Depot Center against Chivas USA.
The veteran 'keeper didn't have to work too hard to claim the shutout, while his counterpart, Chivas USA's Dan Kennedy, was the much busier of the two in a 0-0 draw.
New York controlled play throughout much of the first half with Joel Lindpere forcing a good reaction save from Kennedy in the 22nd minute after being set up by Teemu Tainio.
Juan Agudelo went close with a redirected effort a few minutes later for New York, while Kennedy did well to get a hand to Jan Gunnar Solli's rocket from 30 yards that was tipped onto the crossbar.
Chivas didn't manage to test Rost much, but Jorge Flores had the German beaten in the 38th minute when he took a pass from Justin Braun and ripped a shot past Rost that struck the crossbar.
The second half saw fewer chances from both teams as Chivas went close with a shot from Nick LaBrocca 20 yards from goal, while Tainio watched his volley from inside the penalty area skip inches past the left post.
The final opportunity to steal a win for New York came in stoppage time as Agudelo received the ball inside the area and tried to curl his shot around a defender and inside the far post, only for the ball to sail wide.
Chivas remains unbeaten in its last four matches with the result, while New York has drawn three of its last five contests.
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- Red Bulls tangle with in-form Sounders May 29
- Union stun Red Bulls at RBA May 24
- Union, Red Bulls set to renew rivalry May 22
- Red Bulls, FCD lock horns at Toyota Stadium May 14
- Red Bulls' Wright-Phillips named MLS Player of the Week May 12