Gordon rescues San Jose with late goal vs. ChivasMay 14, 2012 - 1:30 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Alan Gordon played the role of the hero at Buck Shaw Stadium on Sunday as his 88th-minute strike helped earn a point for the San Jose Earthquakes in a 1-1 draw with Chivas USA.
Jose Erick Correa had given Chivas an unlikely lead with his first career MLS goal, and while the Goats held on to the lead in admirable fashion, Gordon's late equalizer gave the 'Quakes a well-earned point at home.
The result lifts San Jose (7-2-2) to sole possession of second place in the Western Conference on 23 points, one point better than Seattle Sounders FC. Chivas (3-6-1) proves once again that it is better away from home this season, improving to 3-1-1 away from The Home Depot Center in 2012.
Correa was making his first start in MLS and he was able to mark it with a goal inside the opening four minutes to help the Goats got off to a dream start. The 19-year-old Colombian redirected a cross from James Riley past San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch at the back post.
Chivas sustained a great deal of pressure from San Jose over the remainder of the match and looked likely to escape Buck Shaw with all three points, but the 'Quakes were able to salvage a draw when Sam Garza's cross was met by Gordon's header at the near post.
The draw snaps a three-game losing skid for Chivas, which still sits second from bottom in the West despite improving to 10 points. The Goats return to action with a massive fixture as they will square off against the Los Angeles Galaxy in next Saturday's SuperClasico.
San Jose has taken just one point from its last two games but will look to get back to winning ways on May 19 when it hosts the Columbus Crew.
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29
- San Jose to host 2016 MLS All-Star Game May 28
- Wondolowski bags 100th goal as 'Quakes draw OCSC May 24
- 'Quakes hope to keep momentum against Orlando May 22
- 'Quakes double up 10-man Crew SC at Avaya May 17
- 'Quakes looking for some home cooking against Crew May 15
- 'Quakes aim to keep rolling against Rapids May 7