Estrada strikes again to help Seattle edge HoustonMar 24, 2012 - 4:30 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC maintained its perfect start to the Major League Soccer season with a 2-0 defeat of the Houston Dynamo at CenturyLink Field on Friday.
Two first-half goals powered the Sounders to their second victory in two games, and it was the Emerald City's newest hero who popped up with what turned out to be the game-winner.
David Estrada burst onto the scene last weekend with hat trick in just his seventh professional appearance. He continued his dream start to the campaign on Friday, getting the Sounders off the mark in the first half with his league-leading fourth goal of the season.
Brad Evans then doubled the advantage, slotting home from the penalty spot shortly after.
Seattle sustained some early pressure from Houston to take the lead with two goals coming four minutes apart.
The Sounders received a fortunate bounce in the 23rd minute when Estrada lashed a shot toward goal. His effort appeared to be heading wide, but a deflection from Geoff Cameron guided the shot past Tally Hall and into the back of the net. Cameron was originally credited with an own goal, but it was later given to Estrada.
Things went from bad to worse for Cameron as he conceded a penalty kick with a foul on Patrick Ianni in the box. Evans stepped up to take the spot-kick for the Sounders and he buried the effort to Hall's left-hand side.
It proved to be all the Sounders would need as their lock-down defense denied the Dynamo a chance to draw level in the second half.
Seattle has taken six points from its first two matches to go 2-0-0. Sigi Schmid's men will remain at CenturyLink Field for their next encounter, a clash against the San Jose Earthquakes on March 31.
After two clean sheets and two wins to start the new season, Houston concedes for the first time en route to dropping its first result of 2012. With a 2-1-0 record, the Dynamo will have a lengthy layoff before returning to MLS action against the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on April 15.
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12