Sporting edges L.A. to remain perfect through fiveApr 7, 2012 - 10:23 PM Sporting Kansas City maintained its perfect start to the 2012 Major League Soccer season on Saturday as it held on for a 1-0 win over the defending champion Los Angeles Galaxy at Livestrong Sporting Park.
Kei Kamara scored the lone goal of the match, nodding home the winner five minutes before halftime to see Sporting set the pace in MLS with a fifth straight win.
Chance Meyers had nearly put the home side in front after 25 minutes when he lashed a one-time shot toward the bottom corner of the net, but Galaxy goalkeeper Josh Saunders produced a fine save to keep Kansas City off the board.
There was nothing Saunders could in the 40th minute though, as Kamara capitalized on some poor marking from the Galaxy defense to give Sporting the lead.
Bobby Convey delivered a pinpoint cross to the far side and Kamara timed his run to perfection as his open header was placed just inside the post with power and precision.
The result gives Sporting, which is one of only two MLS sides without a loss this term, 15 points on the season. Los Angeles, meanwhile, is reeling after a superb 2011 season. The Galaxy have taken just three points from their opening four games.
Sporting (5-0-0) will look to preserve its winning streak in its next outing. The club's tricky run of fixtures continues with a home tilt against Real Salt Lake on April 14.
Los Angeles (1-3-0) returns to action at The Home Depot Center against the Portland Timbers next Saturday.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
Apr 7 6:03 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Kamara 3 (Convey), 40th minute
Galaxy 0, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 44'Apr 7 4:52 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 7 4:09 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12