Montero's brace sees Seattle past DallasMay 10, 2012 - 3:03 AM Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - Fredy Montero only played 45 minutes at FC Dallas Stadium on Wednesday, but that's all the Colombian needed as his second-half brace helped Seattle Sounders FC to a 2-0 victory over FC Dallas.
The result sees Seattle (7-1-1) claim its fifth straight win to go level with the San Jose Earthquakes for second place in the Western Conference. FC Dallas (3-5-3) has lost two in a row and is winless in its last five league outings.
The best chance of the opening period fell to Seattle's Mauro Rosales. The Sounders capped well-worked move with Andy Rose firing a shot on target from outside the box. Kevin Hartman spilled the effort but Rosales was only able to turn the rebound off the post before the Dallas defense cleared their lines.
Both sides struggled to get going offensively, but that changed midway through the second half when Montero took the game by the scruff of the neck.
The Colombian opened the scoring in the 68th minute, collecting a pass from Cordell Cato and uncorking a shot that beat Kevin Hartman at his near post.
Montero doubled Seattle's lead shortly after, getting on the end of a low cross from Alex Caskey and beating his mark to poke a one-time effort into the back of the net for his third goal of the season.
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12