Wondolowski sinks Rapids with late PKJun 21, 2012 - 3:50 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Chris Wondolowski's stoppage-time penalty kick helped the San Jose Earthquakes complete a 2-1 comeback win over the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday.
Brian Mullan's first-half goal for the Rapids held up until the 84th minute, when substitute Alan Gordon netted the equalizer for the Earthquakes.
And Gordon's impact was felt again in the 90th minute when he drew a foul on Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens inside the area, allowing Wondolowski to fire home the winner from the penalty spot.
Pickens was called upon after three minutes when a bullet of a free kick from Victor Bernardez forced the 'keeper to tip the ball over the crossbar.
But Colorado gradually took control and went in front in the 18th minute when a right-wing cross from Hunter Freeman was delivered to the back post for Mullan, who sent a looping header back across the face of goal and into the net.
Edu nearly made it 2-0 to the Rapids a few minutes later when his deflected shot struck the outside of the post.
San Jose goalkeeper David Bingham did well to keep out a free kick from Martin Rivero, with Pickens producing an even better save at the other end to deny San Jose's Steven Lenhart.
Colorado looked poised to see out the game with Mullan's goal providing the difference, but substitute Shea Salinas set up Lenhart, who turned a shot on goal that Pickens parried. Unfortunately for the Rapids, the rebound fell to Gordon for an easy finish from close range with six minutes to play.
The late equalizer would have been deflating enough, but the Earthquakes stole all three points in stoppage time when Gordon worked his way into the penalty area and was brought down by Pickens.
Wondolowski didn't have a huge impact on the match, but he kept his nerve from the spot and fired a shot high into the net over the diving Pickens.
San Jose has now lost once in its last five games, while the Rapids suffered their second successive defeat.
- SAN JOSE: 2
Jun 20 11:34 PM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 12 (PK), 90th minute
Earthquakes 2, Rapids 1 2nd - 89'Jun 20 11:31 PM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 5 (unassisted), 83rd minute
Earthquakes 1, Rapids 1 2nd - 85'Jun 20 11:23 PM
- Colorado Goal - Mullan 1 (Freeman), 18th minute
Earthquakes 0, Rapids 1 1st - 19'Jun 20 10:00 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 20 9:40 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30