Sporting hangs on for draw in SeattleJun 21, 2012 - 4:12 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC saw its winless streak reach six games on Wednesday as the team was held to a 1-1 draw by Sporting Kansas City at CenturyLink Field.
An early goal from Jacob Peterson put Sporting in front, but Seattle answered seven minutes later with an acrobatic finish from Patrick Ianni.
Both sides had chances to claim all three points, but both teams saw their efforts to claim go-ahead goals denied by the post.
Seattle was reduced to 10 men in stoppage time after a terrible challenge from Alvaro Fernandez, but it wasn't enough time for Sporting to push forward for a winner.
A long throw-in in the eighth minute led to the opening goal as the ball bounced around the penalty area and was nodded back toward the edge of the box by Sporting's Aurelien Collin. Peterson charged forward and hammered a shot into the top corner of the net on the half-volley, putting the hosts behind.
But Seattle was back on level terms seven minutes later when a free kick from Mauro Rosales was finished off by Ianni with an impressive side-winding volley.
The chances continued in the 20th minute when Sporting's Soony Saad struck the crossbar from a tight angle, while Seattle's Eddie Johnson failed to hit the target from 10 yards with only goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen to beat.
Rosales had a great chance to put Seattle ahead after the break, but rolled the ball wide after being played in behind the defense.
Seattle goalkeeper Andrew Weber faced his toughest shot in the second half in the 71st minute. And it came from the head of his teammate, Johnson, who tried to clear a corner kick but instead redirected it on his own net, where Weber made a diving save to bail him out.
Fredy Montero created the final opportunity of the game a few minutes from time when his shot from a tight angle took a deflection and wrong-footed Nielsen, forcing the 'keeper to make an awkward save that was redirected off the post, preserving a point for the visiting side.
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
Jun 21 12:02 AM
- Seattle Goal - Ianni 1 (Rosales), 15th minute
Sporting Kansas City 1, Sounders FC 1 1st - 16'Jun 20 10:24 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Peterson 1 (Collin), 8th minute
Sporting Kansas City 1, Sounders FC 0 1st - 9'Jun 20 10:17 PM
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 20 10:07 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12