Koevermans gives Toronto draw against New YorkJul 1, 2012 - 1:29 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Toronto FC is not a pushover anymore.
Danny Koevermans had his eighth goal of the season as Toronto FC tied Red Bull New York, 1-1, at BMO Field to extend its MLS unbeaten streak to four matches.
Toronto (2-10-3) started the season with nine straight losses, but has totaled all nine of its points over its last six games - the last five under new coach Paul Mariner.
Toronto defeated the Montreal Impact, 3-0, on Wednesday for its first win with Mariner as coach and followed that with a draw against New York, which started the night tied atop the Eastern Conference.
New York (9-4-4) extended its own undefeated run to three matches, but slipped two points behind D.C. United in the East table. D.C. downed Montreal, 3-0, on Saturday.
Both goals were scored inside 6 minutes, as Jan Gunnar Solli directed a cross from Brandon Barklage into the right side of the net less than 4 minutes into the match for New York and Koevermans answered just minutes later.
Torsten Frings swung a corner kick in from the right side to the far post, and Koevermans reached the ball and headed under the crossbar for his fourth goal in his last three matches.
Both sides had a few chances to secure full points, as Ryan Johnson had a shot cleared off the line for TFC and Kenny Cooper hit the post for New York, but a draw was in the cards after an even second half.
Toronto visits FC Dallas on Wednesday for its next game, while New York visits the New England Revolution on July 8.
- NEW YORK: 1
TORONTO FC: 1
Jun 30 8:57 PM
- Toronto FC Goal - Koevermans 8 (Frings), 6th minute
Red Bulls 1, Toronto FC 1 1st - 8'Jun 30 7:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 30 7:06 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19