United downs Impact for fifth win in last six gamesJul 1, 2012 - 1:55 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - D.C. United is in a class of its own in the Eastern Conference again.
Chris Pontius scored his ninth goal of the season Saturday as D.C. United beat the Montreal Impact, 3-0, to move into sole possession of first in the East.
Robbie Russell and Hamdi Salihi also scored for United (10-5-3), which won for the fifth time in its last six games. D.C. had its four-match win streak ended last weekend against Red Bull New York, which earned a share of the East lead. New York tied Toronto FC, 1-1, on Saturday to slip two points back.
Montreal (5-9-4), which also lost 3-0 on Wednesday to Toronto FC, was no match for United at RFK Stadium. The Impact are 15 points behind United.
Scoreless until the last seconds of the first half, Pontius broke the deadlock when he latched onto a pass from Dwayne De Rosario, lost a pair of defenders, and then slotted from the left side to the far post in stoppage time.
Russell doubled the lead 5 minutes after halftime, as he ran onto a free kick from Branko Boskovic and headed in his first goal of the season.
United held the two-goal cushion into the final minutes of the game and Salihi clinched three points with his fifth goal of the season. Salihi latched onto a loose ball deep in the area and drove it into the net.
D.C., the first East team to 10 wins this season, is off until July 15 when it visits the Houston Dynamo. Montreal, which has lost three of its last four, is back home Wednesday to host Sporting Kansas City.
- D.C. UNITED: 3
Jun 30 9:30 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Salihi 5 (unassisted), 90th minute
D.C. United 3, Impact 0 2nd - 89'Jun 30 9:26 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Russell 1 (Boskovic), 50th minute
D.C. United 2, Impact 0 2nd - 50'Jun 30 8:46 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Pontius 9 (De Rosario), 45th minute
D.C. United 1, Impact 0 1st - 44'Jun 30 8:25 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 30 7:37 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19