United claims win on Kocic mistakeOct 6, 2012 - 7:11 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - It wasn't pretty, but D.C. United did enough to claim a 1-0 win over Toronto FC at BMO Field on Saturday, thanks in large part to a late error by TFC goalkeeper Milos Kocic.
The game entered the final five minutes scoreless, but a seemingly harmless right-wing cross from Maicon Santos was fumbled by Kocic, allowing Hamdi Salihi to swoop in and tap the ball into the empty net.
United had done little to threaten Kocic throughout the match, but the late error handed the club three points to move them into second place in the Eastern Conference, one point above both Red Bull New York and the Chicago Fire, who face each other at Red Bull Arena later on Saturday.
The best chance in the first half fell to Luis Silva of TFC as he sent a lunging effort on goal that was kept out by goalkeeper Bill Hamid at close range.
Hamid made another good stop to deny Ryan Johnson in the second half, and even though United had done little offensively, the club benefited from the mistake by Kocic to claim the win.
Toronto is winless in 12 successive matches, with the last victory for TFC coming on July 18 against Colorado.
- D.C. UNITED: 1
TORONTO FC: 0
Oct 6 3:01 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Salihi 6 (unassisted), 88th minute
D.C. United 1, Toronto FC 0 2nd - 88'Oct 6 2:56 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 6 1:08 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12
- TFC's Giovinco claims second straight Player of the Week honor Jun 9