Gaven salvages a point for ColumbusOct 7, 2012 - 10:11 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Eddie Gaven scored at the death to help the Columbus Crew salvage a point in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Sporting Kansas City at Crew Stadium.
C.J. Sapong gave visiting Sporting a lead that it held for much of the match, heading his shot onto the post before nodding home the rebound in the 10th minute of play.
Columbus pushed in search of an equalizer that did not look likely come, but perseverance paid off as Gaven's snap header on the stroke of stoppage time saw the Crew earn a share of the spoils.
The draw sees Columbus (14-11-7) move to within a point of the final playoff spot out of the Eastern Conference, held by the Houston Dynamo with 50 points and two games to go.
Sporting (17-7-8) goes three points ahead of the second-place Chicago Fire with 59 points on the season as it looks to solidify the top seed for the playoffs.
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
Oct 7 6:00 PM
- Columbus Goal - Gaven 8 (Renteria), 90th minute
Sporting Kansas City 1, Crew SC 1 2nd - 89'Oct 7 5:54 PM
- Sporting Kansas City Goal - Sapong 8 (unassisted), 10th minute
Sporting Kansas City 1, Crew SC 0 1st - 10'Oct 7 4:18 PM
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 7 4:07 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6