Magee's late goal allows Galaxy to top SeattleOct 29, 2012 - 3:06 AM Los Angeles Galaxy's 1-0 win over Seattle Sounders FC at The Home Depot Center on Sunday.
There were plenty of chances for both sides but it wasn't until the 83rd minute that Magee broke the deadlock with a curling effort from 20 yards that snaps a three-game winless streak for the Galaxy, who will open up the playoffs in the first round at home against Vancouver on Thursday.
The result leaves Seattle in third place and means that the Sounders will host the first leg of their Western Conference semifinal against second-place Real Salt Lake.
Seattle had the best chance to open the scoring in the first half when Fredy Montero sent a header off the post with goalkeeper Josh Saunders easily beaten.
Galaxy forward Robbie Keane was a constant threat in the second half and he slid a shot just wide of the post shortly after the restart.
The Irishman was at it again a few minutes later with a delicate chip from the edge of the area that hit the crossbar, but he had a hand in the lone goal seven minutes from time.
Keane dropped the ball off to Magee 20 yards from goal and he curled a lovely left-footed shot inside the post to give the Galaxy a good result ahead of postseason play.
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 1
Oct 28 11:03 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Magee 5 (Keane), 83rd minute
Sounders FC 0, Galaxy 1 2nd - 85'Oct 28 10:54 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 28 9:11 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19