Houston advances as Bruin's brace bounces ChicagoNov 1, 2012 - 3:32 AM Houston Dynamo may have won just three times in 17 away games during the regular season.
But on Wednesday in their Eastern Conference knockout round match against the Chicago Fire, Houston made Toyota Park feel very much like home as Will Bruin scored a pair of goals in a 2-1 Dynamo victory.
The result brings Chicago's season to an abrupt close while the Dynamo now moves on to face Sporting Kansas City in the conference semifinals, which will begin in Houston on Sunday.
The visitors defended well in the first half and took advantage of a 12th- minute corner kick to snatch the lead as Brad Davis swung the ball toward the near post where Bruin got free from his man to head the ball past goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
It took less than 30 seconds after halftime for the Dynamo to double their lead as Chicago lost possession in its own half, allowing Calen Carr to play Bruin in on goal with a well-weighted through ball that the striker dispatched past Johnson for his second goal of the contest.
The home side warmed to the task a bit over the final 30 minutes with Arne Friedrich and Dominic Oduro both testing Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall.
However, Chicago didn't find the breakthrough until the 83rd minute when Alex slipped in behind the Houston defense and scored from a tight angle after a nice ball from Patrick Nyarko.
Johnson kept the Fire within a goal by keeping out a close-range effort from Macoumba Kandji, but Houston did well to see out the remainder of the match and will now look ahead to a meeting with top-seeded Sporting.
- HOUSTON: 2
Oct 31 11:27 PM
- Chicago Goal - Alex 1 (Nyarko), 83rd minute
Dynamo 2, Fire 1 2nd - 84'Oct 31 11:16 PM
- Houston Goal - Bruin 2 (Carr), 46th minute
Dynamo 2, Fire 0 2nd - 47'Oct 31 10:39 PM
- Houston Goal - Bruin 1 (Davis), 12th minute
Dynamo 1, Fire 0 1st - 15'Oct 31 9:48 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 31 9:33 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- Chicago invades RFK to tangle with DCU Jun 2