New York, Portland battle to draw at JELD-WENMar 4, 2013 - 3:33 AM
The visitors got off to a flying start in the ninth minute in part because of some poor communication between Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts and defender Mikael Silvestre.
Silvestre fed one back to Ricketts hoping for a clear, but Ricketts left the ball sitting in the penalty area Fabian Espindola banged it home to give New York the early lead.
Portland put the sides back on level terms just five minutes later as new Designated Player Diego Valeri broke through the Red Bulls backline with a deft touch and eased it past New York goalkeeper Luis Robles to tie the score.
But New York took the lead right back in the 24th minute courtesy of another error by Silvestre as he failed to control a bouncing ball and Espindola pounced on it. He took one quick touch and ripped it low into the far corner for the 2-1 edge.
It was 3-1 for New York just four minutes later as Jamison Olave popped home a low cross from Heath Pearce.
After the break, however, it was Portland that was on the front foot for almost the entire second half. The Timbers came close several times before pulling within one in the 56th minute.
Valeri worked his way to the New York penalty area and unleashed a wicked shot that could not be handled by Robles and Nagbe was there to put home the rebound to make it 3-2.
In the 83rd minute, Nagbe ripped a shot that was parried away by Robles, but the ball found its way to Jose Valencia, who put a low cross into the box that went off Olave and into the net to make it 3-3.
Portland continued to push for the winner and had a couple outstanding opportunities, but was unable to find the winner as the clubs shared the points.
- NEW YORK: 3
Mar 3 9:47 PM
- Portland Goal - Olave (OG), 83rd minute
Red Bulls 3, Timbers 3 2nd - 85'Mar 3 9:42 PM
- Portland Goal - Nagbe 1 (unassisted), 56th minute
Red Bulls 3, Timbers 2 2nd - 60'Mar 3 9:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
Mar 3 8:40 PM
- New York Goal - Olave 1 (Pearce), 28th minute
Red Bulls 3, Timbers 1 1st - 32'Mar 3 8:25 PM
- New York Goal - Espindola 2 (Kimura), 24th minute
Red Bulls 2, Timbers 1 1st - 30'Mar 3 8:21 PM
- Portland Goal - Valeri 1(Alhassan, Johnson), 14th minute
Red Bulls 1, Timbers 1 1st - 20'Mar 3 8:12 PM
- New York Goal - Espindola 1 (unassisted), 9th minute
Red Bulls 1, Timbers 0 1st - 10'Mar 3 8:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 3 7:53 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19