Cooper strikes late to claim El Capitan for FCDMar 17, 2013 - 7:44 PM Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - Kenny Cooper struck at the death to see FC Dallas claim El Capitan with a 3-2 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Sunday.
FC Dallas had taken the lead in the first half with two goals in quick succession thanks to George John and Andrew Jacobsen, but Houston answered late in the second half with two goals in the span of four minutes as Andrew Driver and Brad David leveled the proceedings.
The home side ultimately claimed the edge in the Texas derby with Cooper producing the late goal to see Dallas earn its second win of the season, leaving the club with six points through three matches. The Dynamo have dropped two in a row to remain on three points.
Houston had the better of play in the early going and nearly went in front in the 21st minute when Giles Barnes broke free on goal. The English midfielder had a wide-open Will Bruin trailing at the back post but elected to fire a shot on goal himself, only to be denied by Raul Fernandez.
FC Dallas settled into the match and eventually claimed a two-goal advantage before halftime.
The opener came in the 34th minute when John flicked Michel's free kick into the bottom corner following a fortuitous deflection from Bobby Boswell.
Less than two minutes later, Dallas doubled its advantage when Jacobsen wriggled free of Ricardo Clark to get on the end of David Ferreira's corner kick and guide the finish into the upper corner.
Houston pulled one back 11 minutes from time, capitalizing on some sloppy defending from the home side. Kofi Sarkodie slipped between two defender to keep the ball in play along the endline before picking out Driver. The rookie marked his MLS debut with a fine finish, sending his shot off the underside of the crossbar and into the back of the net.
The Dynamo pulled level four minutes later when Driver's centering pass was brushed aside by Fernandez, but Davis was arriving to slot home the rebound and break FC Dallas hearts.
Those hearts were mended in the dying moments of the match as Cooper played the role of the hero on the stroke of 90 minutes. The Dallas striker latched on to Michel's cross to the back post, controlled the delivery with his shoulder and popped a finish past the on-rushing Tally Hall to seal all three points.
- HOUSTON: 2
FC DALLAS: 3
Mar 17 3:09 PM
- FC Dallas Goal - Cooper 1 (Michel), 90th minute
Dynamo 2, FC Dallas 3 2nd - 89'Mar 17 3:02 PM
- Houston Goal - Davis 1 (unassisted), 83rd minute
Dynamo 2, FC Dallas 2 2nd - 84'Mar 17 2:52 PM
- Houston Goal - Driver 1 (Sarkodie), 79th minute
Dynamo 1, FC Dallas 2 2nd - 80'Mar 17 2:49 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
FC DALLAS: 2
Mar 17 1:56 PM
- FC Dallas Goal - Jacobsen 1 (Ferreira), 36th minute
Dynamo 0, FC Dallas 2 1st - 38'Mar 17 1:48 PM
- Dallas Goal - John 1 (unassisted), 34th minute
Dynamo 0, FC Dallas 1 1st - 35'Mar 17 1:46 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
FC DALLAS: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 17 1:09 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30
- Houston hits the road to face struggling NYC May 29