Davis leads Dynamo past FireApr 14, 2013 - 11:05 PM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Brad Davis netted the match-winner with nine minutes to play and added a sublime assist as the Houston Dynamo claimed a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Fire on Sunday at BBVA Compass Stadium.
Houston entered the match coming off a 2-0 road loss to the Portland Timbers last week, but had the better of the play early on and struck first in the 26th minute.
Davis came galloping down the left flank into the attacking third and lofted a pinpoint left-footed cross into the penalty area, where a completely unmarked Will Bruin was there to easily nod it past Chicago goalkeeper Sean Johnson for his second tally of the season and a 1-0 Dynamo lead.
But just three minutes later Chicago responded when Chris Rolfe got on the end of a Daniel Paladini cross and fired a rising shot into the top left corner of the net, leaving Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall with little chance for a save.
Houston assumed control of the match in the second half and had an outstanding chance to go in front in the 63rd minute when Ricardo Clark connected with a wide-open Andrew Driver on the right wing with a through ball. Driver took a quick touch and ripped a shot that was earmarked for the far corner, but Johnson got down quickly to make the stop.
Davis's winner came in the 81st minute when the Dynamo captain let a free kick rip from well outside the penalty area. The low shot made its way through several bodies in front of goal and past Johnson to the left post to secure three points for Houston.
The victory extends Houston's impressive home unbeaten streak to 35 consecutive matches, while Chicago has lost two of its last three after earning its first win of the season last week.
- CHICAGO: 1
Apr 14 7:00 PM
- Houston Goal - Davis 2 (Sarkodie), 81st minute
Fire 1, Dynamo 2 2nd - 85'Apr 14 6:50 PM
- CHICAGO: 1
Apr 14 5:55 PM
- Chicago Goal - Rolfe 1 (Paladini), 29th minute
Fire 1, Dynamo 1 1st - 30'Apr 14 5:43 PM
- Houston Goal - Bruin 2 (Davis), 26th minute
Fire 0, Dynamo 1 1st - 25'Apr 14 5:39 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 14 5:10 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- Chicago invades RFK to tangle with DCU Jun 2