Rapids roll over ColumbusMay 12, 2013 - 1:42 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - The Colorado Rapids continued their winning ways as the club secured a 2-0 victory at the Columbus Crew on Saturday with goals from Edson Buddle and Dillon Powers.
The Rapids have now claimed four win from their last six games, while Columbus continues to struggle having picked up one victory from its last six matches.
Colorado got off to a good start through Buddle, who put the club on top inside the opening 10 minutes.
Atiba Harris held up the ball inside the area after taking a pass from Danny Mwanga, and he laid it off for Buddle to fire past goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum.
Jairo Arrieta had the best chance for the home side in the first half when he turned away from a defender and shot just over the crossbar.
But it was not to be the Crew's night as Colorado doubled its advantage with 20 minutes to play under fortunate circumstances.
Powers fired a shot toward goal from outside the box and it took a wicked deflection off of Columbus defender Josh Williams, leaving Gruenebaum stranded.
Arrieta had another good chance to get his team on the scoreboard in the 86th minute, but his powerful shot crashed off the post with goalkeeper Clint Irwin beaten.
- COLORADO: 2
May 11 9:35 PM
- Colorado Goal - Powers 1 (unassisted), 69th minute
Rapids 2, Crew SC 0 2nd - 72'May 11 9:12 PM
- COLORADO: 1
May 11 8:27 PM
- Colorado Goal - Buddle 3 (Harris, Mwanga), 9th minute
Rapids 1, Crew SC 0 1st - 12'May 11 7:51 PM
- COLORADO: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 11 7:41 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12