Valencia helps 10-man Timbers earn draw with 'CapsMay 19, 2013 - 1:14 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - A great individual effort from Jose Valencia in the 84th minute helped 10-man Portland Timbers claim a 2-2 draw against Cascadia Cup rivals Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place on Saturday.
Camilo's first-half goal for Vancouver was canceled out by a Will Johnson penalty kick for the Timbers.
Gershon Koffie scored two minutes later to restore the Vancouver lead, while Mamadou Danso was sent off nine minutes from time.
The Timbers' nine-match unbeaten run appeared to be in jeopardy, but Valencia brought down a long ball at the top of the penalty area, shook off one defender and turned past another before rolling his shot past goalkeeper Brad Knighton.
Portland's unbeaten run has now reached 10 games, while Vancouver owns only one win from its last nine matches.
Camilo had a strong match for Vancouver and put his team in front with a well- struck free kick from 20 yards midway through the first half.
Johnson helped set up the penalty kick for himself when his shot struck the arm of Vancouver's Andy O'Brien inside the area. And Johnson made no mistake with his spot kick, sending Knighton the wrong way.
Camilo set up Vancouver's second goal by laying off a ball for Koffie, who curled his shot inside the right post from 20 yards, leaving Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts rooted to his spot.
Danso's red card in the 81st minute came when he got tangled up with Camilo while tracking down a long ball, but Valencia got on the other end of Johnson's clearance to earn his side a point.
- PORTLAND: 2
VANCOUVER FC: 2
May 18 9:01 PM
- Portland Goal - Valencia 1 (unassisted), 84th minute
Timbers 2, Whitecaps FC 2 2nd - 86'May 18 8:54 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Koffie 2 (Camilo), 54th minute
Timbers 1, Whitecaps FC 2 2nd - 57'May 18 8:23 PM
- Portland Goal - W. Johnson 5 (PK), 52nd minute
Timbers 1, Whitecaps FC 1 2nd - 53'May 18 8:20 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 1
May 18 7:56 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Camilo 3 (unassisted), 24th minute
Timbers 0, Whitecaps FC 1 1st - 27'May 18 7:33 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 18 7:08 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7