Houston settles for point in ColumbusJun 2, 2013 - 1:46 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Federico Higuain's 69th-minute penalty kick canceled out a first-half strike from Warren Creavalle as the Columbus Crew earned a 1-1 home draw with the Houston Dynamo.
The Dynamo entered Saturday's match having collected one point from their last three games, but the visitors jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 31st minute when Kofi Sarkodie got down the right wing and crossed the ball toward the penalty spot, where the onrushing Creavalle turned home a volley.
Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall then kept his side in front with a scrambling save to keep out a flick from Jairo Arrieta before halftime.
Columbus turned up the pressure after the break and Chad Barson helped the Crew equalize with 20 minutes to play when he got into the penalty area and was brought down by Houston's Andrew Driver.
Higuain stepped to the spot and he made no mistake, hammering the ball past a helpless Hall in the Dynamo goal.
And after leveling the match a few minutes earlier, the Argentine nearly won it for the Crew when his curling effort crashed off the right post, forcing the hosts to settle for a second successive draw.
- HOUSTON: 1
Jun 1 9:32 PM
- Columbus Goal - Higuain 3 (PK), 70th minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 1 2nd - 71'Jun 1 9:07 PM
- HOUSTON: 1
Jun 1 8:26 PM
- Houston Goal - Creavalle 3 (Sarkodie), 31st minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 0 1st - 35'Jun 1 8:12 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 1 7:39 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6
- Impact aim to end road troubles in Columbus Jun 5