Watson off to winning start as San Jose tops 10-man RapidsJun 16, 2013 - 3:11 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Mark Watson's first match in charge of the San Jose Earthquakes resulted in three points on Saturday as the team held off the Colorado Rapids for a 2-1 win at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Watson took over as interim head coach of the Earthquakes last week in place of Frank Yallop, and he saw his side get off to a great start with a goal from Steven Lenhart in the 11th minute.
The Rapids were then reduced to 10 men in the 18th when Atiba Harris received a straight red card for a poor challenge on San Jose's Alan Gordon.
Sam Cronin made it 2-0 to the visitors early in the second half, but the hosts put together a strong push over the final 25 minutes, and after pulling a goal back through Nathan Sturgis, the Rapids nearly snatched a point with some good pressure in a bid to extend the club's six-match unbeaten run.
Gordon's flicked header released Lenhart in the 11th minute and he lashed a shot into the upper right corner of the net from 20 yards that goalkeeper Clint Irwin could only get a fingertip on.
Harris saw red seven minutes later and it looked like it would be an easy night for the 'Quakes when Cronin doubled the lead in the 52nd when he latched on to a through ball from Rafael Baca before beating Irwin.
But Brian Mullan's right-wing cross allowed Sturgis to turn a header past goalkeeper Jon Busch, who was fortunate three minutes later in a similar circumstance that Jaime Castrillon's goal-bound header was hit straight into the netminder's chest.
The final whistle brought relief for the San Jose bench as the team claimed just its second win in 12 games.
- SAN JOSE: 2
Jun 15 11:06 PM
- Colorado Goal - Sturgis 3 (Mullan), 67th minute
Earthquakes 2, Rapids 1 2nd - 70'Jun 15 10:42 PM
- San Jose Goal - Cronin 2 (Baca), 52nd minute
Earthquakes 2, Rapids 0 2nd - 55'Jun 15 10:26 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
Jun 15 10:01 PM
- San Jose Goal - Lenhart 2 (Gordon), 11th minute
Earthquakes 1, Rapids 0 1st - 14'Jun 15 9:26 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 15 9:11 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30