Chicago comes from behind to down ColoradoJun 20, 2013 - 2:40 AM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - The Chicago Fire came from behind to claim a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids at Toyota Park on Wednesday.
Deshorn Brown had handed the Rapids a vital road lead, but the Fire battled back and took all three points thanks to Mike Magee's equalizer from the penalty spot and Austin Berry's header early in the second half.
Chicago (4-7-3) is now unbeaten in its last four games while Colorado (5-6-5) suffers its second consecutive defeat after enjoying a six-match run without a defeat.
Colorado went in front in the 17th minute of Wednesday's affair when Brown dispossessed Berry and slotted a shot past Sean Johnson.
But the Fire wasted little time in leveling the score as the home side was awarded a penalty kick six minutes later. Marvell Wynne made a sliding challenge in the box and batted a pass down with his outstretched arm, allowing Magee to equalize with a cheeky chip down the center of the goal from the ensuing penalty attempt.
Berry made amends for his mistake in the build-up to Colorado's opener by giving the Fire the lead two minutes into the second half. The defender got on the end of a cross from Jeff Larentowicz and nodded the delivery past Clint Irwin at the far post for his first goal of the season.
The Rapids nearly tied it up on three separate occasions in the second half.
Edson Buddle rattled the frame with a rocket in the 52nd minute, Tony Cascio missed a sitter in stoppage time by sending his shot from close range off the post and Brown had a goal pulled back after referee Edvin Jurisevic ruled that the striker had handled the ball before the shot.
The Rapids will attempt to regroup in time for a massive clash against the Portland Timbers at Jeld-Wen Field on Sunday, one day after the Fire head to Crew Stadium to take on Columbus.
- COLORADO: 1
Jun 19 10:29 PM
- Chicago Goal - Berry 1 (Larentowicz), 47th minute
Rapids 1, Fire 2 2nd - 48'Jun 19 9:43 PM
- COLORADO: 1
Jun 19 9:24 PM
- Chicago Goal - Magee 9 (PK), 23rd minute
Rapids 1, Fire 1 1st - 23'Jun 19 9:00 PM
- Colorado Goal - Brown 3 (unassisted), 17th minute
Rapids 1, Fire 0 1st - 17'Jun 19 8:55 PM
- COLORADO: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 19 8:38 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5