RSL topples Seattle to move to Western Conference summitJun 23, 2013 - 3:32 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - Real Salt Lake moved to the top of the Western Conference on Saturday after a 2-0 win over Seattle Sounders FC at Rio Tinto Stadium.
RSL entered the weekend one point back of leaders FC Dallas. But after Dallas was held to a 2-2 draw with Sporting Kansas City, Salt Lake seized its opportunity and moved one point clear at the top with goals from Kyle Beckerman and Robbie Findley.
The first half was a fairly tight affair with neither side stepping forward and grabbing control.
But the hosts made the most of a free kick in the 41st minute when Javier Morales struck the ball against the wall, redirecting it into the path of Beckerman, whose volley hit the underside of the crossbar and settle into the net.
It was one of the few chances in the first half for either side, but it didn't take the home side long to double the lead as the second goal came in the opening minute of the second half.
Findley got behind the Seattle defense and had his shot saved, but Alvaro Saborio followed up the play and returned the ball to Findley, who slid it past Sounders goalkeeper Michael Gspurning.
Seattle seemed to be out of ideas in the attacking third for much of the night, while Salt Lake almost added to the lead as Nat Borchers found the net in the 68th minute, only for the goal to be called back for offsides.
Saborio also had a good chance in the 87th but he nodded the ball wide from six yards.
The defeat ends a good run of form for Seattle, which had won five of its previous six matches.
- SEATTLE: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 2
Jun 22 11:27 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Findley 4 (Saborio), 46th minute
Sounders FC 0, Real Salt Lake 2 2nd - 55'Jun 22 10:49 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 1
Jun 22 10:23 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Beckerman 2 (unassisted), 41st minute
Sounders FC 0, Real Salt Lake 1 1st - 40'Jun 22 10:23 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 22 9:37 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19