Gordon's late header allows San Jose to stun GalaxyJun 30, 2013 - 4:43 AM Palo Alto, CA (Sports Network) - The San Jose Earthquakes stunned the Los Angeles Galaxy with two goals in stoppage time to claim a 3-2 comeback win in the season's first edition of the California Clasico at Stanford Stadium on Saturday.
The Galaxy took a 2-0 lead into the final 25 minutes of the match, but San Jose forward Alan Gordon came off the bench to spark a comeback, beginning with his goal in the 68th minute.
Earthquakes defender Victor Bernardez was sent off in the 77th after collecting his second yellow card, but San Jose went ahead and leveled the match in stoppage time with a goal from Shea Salinas.
A point would have been a good result for the 'Quakes under the circumstances, but Gordon's close-range header just one minute later capped a dramatic rally that gives San Jose its second win in seven games.
Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan combined to set up goals for Marcelo Sarvas and Hector Jimenez as the Galaxy built its lead.
But Gordon's arrival changed the game and he got on the other end of a cross from Salinas in the 68th minute to redirect a header past goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini.
Bernardez was handed his second yellow card for a foul on Juninho in the 77th, but Salinas was on hand to tap in a rebound from a long throw in 92 minutes into the contest.
Sam Cronin then provided the ball that allowed the 'Quakes to steal three points as he lofted it to the back post for Gordon to head home from a few yards.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
SAN JOSE: 3
Jun 30 12:33 AM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 4 (Cronin), 90th minute
Galaxy 2, Earthquakes 3 2nd - 89'Jun 30 12:33 AM
- San Jose Goal - Salinas 3 (unassisted), 90th minute
Galaxy 2, Earthquakes 2 2nd - 89'Jun 30 12:32 AM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 3 (Salinas), 68th minute
Galaxy 2, Earthquakes 1 2nd - 70'Jun 30 12:06 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jimenez 2 (Keane, Donovan), 65th minute
Galaxy 2, Earthquakes 0 2nd - 68'Jun 30 12:05 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
SAN JOSE: 0
Jun 29 11:25 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Sarvas 2 (Keane, Donovan), 20th minute
Galaxy 1, Earthquakes 0 1st - 23'Jun 29 11:01 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 29 10:38 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5