Rolfe's late winner leads Chicago past San JoseJul 4, 2013 - 2:38 AM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - The Chicago Fire ran its unbeaten streak to six games on Wednesday as Chris Rolfe scored in the 84th minute to hand his team a 3-2 win over the San Jose Earthquakes at Toyota Park.
The two sides traded first-half goals before Patrick Nyarko put the Fire ahead early in the second half. However, San Jose leveled the match through Joel Lindpere's own goal in the 72nd minute.
Mike Magee has been a scoring machine for Chicago since joining the club in a trade with Los Angeles, but the forward played provider six minutes from time by threading a pass to Rolfe, who scored from close range to give his side another three points.
Alan Gordon got things started for the Earthquakes in the 14th minute by heading Steven Beitashour's cross against the crossbar and then scoring on the rebound.
Dilly Duka was instrumental in the Chicago attack, and after being denied by a nice save from San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch, he beat the netminder with a half volley from a Gonzalo Segares cross.
Duka set up the second-half goal for Nyarko by beating a defender on the wing and crossing to the front of the net to allow the forward to score from close range.
The Fire gave the goal back 18 minutes from time when Lindpere was unlucky to redirect the ball into his own net from a corner kick.
San Jose has made a habit of scoring late goals over the past few years, but the club was on the wrong end of things this time as Magee's inch-perfect pass set up Rolfe's winner.
- SAN JOSE: 2
Jul 3 10:30 PM
- Chicago Goal - Rolfe 2 (Magee), 84th minute
Earthquakes 2, Fire 3 2nd - 85'Jul 3 10:20 PM
- San Jose Goal - Lindpere (OG), 73rd minute
Earthquakes 2, Fire 2 2nd - 76'Jul 3 10:12 PM
- Chicago Goal - Nyarko 2 (Duka), 47th minute
Earthquakes 1, Fire 2 2nd - 48'Jul 3 9:44 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
Jul 3 9:24 PM
- Chicago Goal - Duka 2 (Segares), 36th minute
Earthquakes 1, Fire 1 1st - 37'Jul 3 9:17 PM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 3 (unassisted), 14th minute
Earthquakes 1, Fire 0 1st - 15'Jul 3 8:53 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 3 8:38 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5
- Chicago invades RFK to tangle with DCU Jun 2
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30