Marsch's goal lifts Chivas over Real Salt LakeAug 27, 2007 - 4:22 AM CARSON, California (Ticker) -- Jesse Marsch scored the game's only goal as Chivas USA posted its third consecutive shutout with a 1-0 victory over Real Salt Lake on Sunday.
Marsch received a right wing crossing pass from Ante Razov and blasted a shot past Real goalkeeper Nick Rimando to the lower right corner to give Chivas a 1-0 advantage in the 31st minute.
"It was great, I think we needed it today with all the missed opportunities," Marsch said. "Ante and I have worked together a lot of years and between us we have help each other a lot and I know we will in the future."
Chivas (11-6-3, 36 points) moved into a tie for second place in the Western Conference with FC Dallas (11-7-3, 36 points).
Chivas goalkeeper Brad Guzan needed just one save, which came in the 84th minute on Atiba Harris, to register his ninth shutout of the season and 16th of his career.
Real's best scoring chance came in the 78th minute, when Kyle Beckerman deflected a shot just wide left of the goal.
"I was getting nervous in the last ten minutes or so and I thought up until that point the game was ours," Chivas coach Preki said. "We're going to take it the way it is for us, because it's been a hard week for us."
Chivas, which has not surrendered a goal over its last three contests, is 6-1-1 over its last eight games.
Rimando made six saves for Real, which was outshot, 14-8.
Real still has not picked up a win on the road this season, going 0-6-3 away from Rice-Eccles Stadium.
"We need certain players to step up right now and raise their game so that the team as a whole can feel the energy and built off of it, something from a veteran player who can lead," RSL coach Jason Kreis said.
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Techera helps 'Caps end losing skid May 30
- Whitecaps aim to stop the rot against RSL May 29
- Galaxy, RSL renew rivalry at StubHub May 26
- RSL gets the better of Kreis, NYCFC May 24
- Romero helps Impact notch first win May 16