Earthquakes, FC Dallas battle to drawMay 4, 2008 - 5:14 AM SAN JOSE, California (Ticker) -- Joe Cannon made three saves Saturday en route to his second shutout of the season as the San Jose Earthquakes battled FC Dallas to a 0-0 tie.
Dario Sala needed just one save to register his third blanking of the season and 14th career.
The best scoring chance of the match came in the 62nd minute when Arturo Alvarez's third shot of the match sailed wide of Cannon, who now has 58 career shutouts.
The Earthquakes (1-3-1), who played their first game of the season in the newly renovated Buck Shaw Stadium, finished with nine shots - only one on goal - to avoid a third straight loss.
"We're obviously on the right track, our general play was good, our energy was right there," San Jose coach Frank Yallop said. "I felt we had them on their heels most of the game and that's not easy in this league when you have a new team. I think that's a good sign, we went toe-to-toe with them and outplayed them."
San Jose has now failed to score in five of its six games this campaign, getting blanked in each of its last three contests.
"I thought we outplayed them," Yallop said. "Our general play was better than theirs (and) I think it should have warranted a goal, but it didn't."
Dallas finished with eight shots and had the majority of quality scoring chances throughout the game, but still failed to get one past Cannon.
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29